Stihl saw question.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The 056 is a great saw. It depends how often you reckon on using it as it is a fair bit heavier than modern saws, parts are getting difficult to source and some items such as ignition units now very expensive.. A search on this site will bring up plenty of information.

I use mine for cutting a couple of cords of firewood a year - monster torque and very hard to bog down with a 2ft bar. Hope to do a bit of milling with it soon but I still reckon it should last a good few years.

For occasional use when you need something with real grunt I would reccommend you get one if you can find at a suitable price. See if you can find one with a chain brake or consider a retro-fit.

Big feller.

There were several different versions, with different engine displacements.

I think the value will depend on which version it is, as well as its condition.

If it's an 056 standard in really, really good shape, you could pay $175-$200. The reason to buy a standard is that you can put an 056 Super jug and piston on it and have a whole other class of saw. For good Supers you'll see them go for $250 or so in good shape, and for the Mag II, which is the way to go in my opinion, can go fro $300-$500 depending on condition. Condition is everything, and how well it's been taken care of. I sold a Super in prime condition for $450 last summer. And then a couple of months ago I bought a sound, running Mag II for just over $200 because it was missing a muffler.

The 056 is a great saw, and is a favorite amongst timber guys from back in the day. It is heavy, but there's a romance to a big heavy, slow revving saw like the 056.

Jeff

Back