Stihl saw question.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Big feller

Big feller

ArboristSite Operative
The 056 is a great saw. It depends how often you reckon on using it as it is a fair bit heavier than modern saws, parts are getting difficult to source and some items such as ignition units now very expensive.. A search on this site will bring up plenty of information.

I use mine for cutting a couple of cords of firewood a year - monster torque and very hard to bog down with a 2ft bar. Hope to do a bit of milling with it soon but I still reckon it should last a good few years.

For occasional use when you need something with real grunt I would reccommend you get one if you can find at a suitable price. See if you can find one with a chain brake or consider a retro-fit.

Big feller.

fishhuntcutwood

fishhuntcutwood

Full wraps and long bars!!!!!!!!!
From IN, stationed in Port Angeles, WA, but AK is
If it's an 056 standard in really, really good shape, you could pay $175-$200. The reason to buy a standard is that you can put an 056 Super jug and piston on it and have a whole other class of saw. For good Supers you'll see them go for $250 or so in good shape, and for the Mag II, which is the way to go in my opinion, can go fro $300-$500 depending on condition. Condition is everything, and how well it's been taken care of. I sold a Super in prime condition for $450 last summer. And then a couple of months ago I bought a sound, running Mag II for just over $200 because it was missing a muffler.

The 056 is a great saw, and is a favorite amongst timber guys from back in the day. It is heavy, but there's a romance to a big heavy, slow revving saw like the 056.

Jeff

Latest posts