Stihl saw recomendations

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zorak

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Wanting to run a 28" bar. Kinda lookong at either stihl 362 or 441. Will the 362 run the 28" efficiently? I do plan on having it worked over after the warrenty is up as well. I already have a 395xp for the big stuff but just want smaller saw.

Thanks
Doug

Would grabbing a 28" to swap on your 395 an option? Would be the most cost effective route......

Of course, I also realize CAD does not make the above mentioned option a reasonable one.

I run a 28” bar on my dolmar 7900 (79cc). I don’t think I would run one on my 372xp (70cc) unless I had no other choice. I think you should be looking at a stihl 460/461 to reliably pull and oil a 28” bar in hardwood but I could be wrong.

I run a 28” bar on my dolmar 7900 (79cc). I don’t think I would run one on my 372xp (70cc) unless I had no other choice. I think you should be looking at a stihl 460/461 to reliably pull and oil a 28” bar in hardwood but I could be wrong.

I will be cutting soft wood like red fir, tamarack/lodge pole pine and stuff like that.

You might get away with it. Are you looking to bury the bar and cut 28” logs all day or just want a long bar to get a better reach?? I would be most worried about the oiler. Most stills are pretty stingy in the oil department. My ms361 has all it can do to pull and oil an 18” bar. You best option might be a spare bar for your 395xp.

My 460 pulls 25" very well and 36" kinda "meh" I have to baby it with the 36". 28" would (obviously) be somewhere in between.

Yes on the oiler. Worth it for the high output oiler in my opinion. Around $100 and easy to install.

I will up grade the oiler on what ever Stihl i get either way. I dont want have to switch bars and carry a extra bar for my 395. Ill look at the 441 as well. Was just looking for a little lighter saw as well.

You could do full skip chain and 28 inch bar with the 362 also if you want a lighter saw. Personally I would rather have the extra power when needed, but I have the more is better mentality.

I run a 36" with full skip on my 044 fairly regularly. I can completely bury the bar in a cottonwood log. I have to go a little easy when I bury it but it does it fine. Was running my 044 with the 36" full skip alongside a 395 with a 32" full comp in a 30" green elm and I was only about 6 seconds behind. I know there's a huge difference between the two saws but I was rather impressed.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

I'm interested in this post as well. I found out the other day that I like running a longer bar for reach. Was running a 30" on the ms660 cutting up a big oak branch. Normally run a 24" for cross cutting but the extra 6" made a world of difference. Really liked not having to bend over as much (getting old). I wonder, is there really a significant difference between a 70 and 90 cc saw pulling a 28" or 30" bar through 20" diameter hardwood? Because if it ain't then I need a 70cc saw.

I'm interested in this post as well. I found out the other day that I like running a longer bar for reach. Was running a 30" on the ms660 cutting up a big oak branch. Normally run a 24" for cross cutting but the extra 6" made a world of difference. Really liked not having to bend over as much (getting old). I wonder, is there really a significant difference between a 70 and 90 cc saw pulling a 28" or 30" bar through 20" diameter hardwood? Because if it ain't then I need a 70cc saw.

My father in law runs a 28" full comp on his 026 Pro for this very reason (he's old and his back feels older). I'd never want to bury 28" with an 026, but for limbing, it seems to do just fine. He runs the oiler wide open, and it slings. To each their own. He leaves anything that needs a bar buried for me & the 460 or 064...

Latest posts

Back