Stihl Saws The want and the Needs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wowzer

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Looking for some insight from you guys / gals.
i own a MS250, an 034 AV, and getting a 034 Super. i'm wanting to add i'm thinking a 241, 261, or maybe the MS 193 T looking to use it for just limbing some tops and having something that is handy but yet powerful. or would you just go with a 170, 180 or 211 for the price point. I have a buddy i can get a hold of a 440, and 660 so not to worried about the big guns, but some day i do want to own one of my own.

I really like the 241 and 461. I've also ran a 211 extensively at a buddy's house and it's a great little saw once you get used to the easy start and flippy caps.

If you do go with a 261 be sure you are buying the second edition that is much lighter.

Sounds like the 241 would be a great choice if you want to go with a pro saw and don't mind the price tag. I would sell the 250 and get it as a replacement since you have other saws.

the biggest thing about pulling the trigger on a new Pro saw is the price tag i bought the MS 250 this spring thinking it would be a good trade off from my 034, figured then i would have something with decent power for some 20" rounds, and a little bit of noodling, with the MS250 to do some limbing. i dunno just trying to see what you all do for setting yourself up for going out and cutting firewood and such

I really like the 241 and 461. I've also ran a 211 extensively at a buddy's house and it's a great little saw once you get used to the easy start and flippy caps.

If you do go with a 261 be sure you are buying the second edition that is much lighter.

from what i read the MS211 doesn't have the easy start, a buddy of mine has it on a 251 and it throws me off every time. but it has only broke once on him and that was because someone like me pulled it like you normally pull a chain saw instead of the easy start function

from what i read the MS211 doesn't have the easy start, a buddy of mine has it on a 251 and it throws me off every time. but it has only broke once on him and that was because someone like me pulled it like you normally pull a chain saw instead of the easy start function

You can get the 211 with or without the easy2start recoil.

I can run my 170 with 1 hand limbing if need be.......also handles 8-10" stuff just fine.

You need to add a little variety to your saw diet. Man cannot live on Stihls alone. :) I think it's time to mix in a Husqy, Dolmar, Echo, etc.

I have looked at Dolmar. And seen a guy usin the Echo top handle it don't look half bad on the spec sheet. Don't know about price though
Dolmar and Echo do have some very good models (although they have a few very vocal fanboys hanging around and the rhetoric can get old). 7900 is a sweet saw. I'd love to find a good echo dealer to try one out. Heard somewhere in north Iowa had some really nice deals on Echo this summer.

Dolmar and Echo do have some very good models (although they have a few very vocal fanboys Hanging around and the rhetoric can get old). 7900 is a sweet saw. I'd love to find a good echo dealer to try one out. Heard somewhere in north Iowa had some really nice deals on Echo this summer.

Yeah I don't see much for used Dolmar, or Echo saws even on kijiji here

Yeah I don't see much for used Dolmar, or Echo saws even on kijiji here
There's a great Dolmar dealer about an hour from me (and fellow AS member wetgunpowder). He took good care of me when I bought my PS-32. If something were to happen to my 2186 I'd be buying either a 7900 or 461.

I couldn't name an actual non big box Echo dealer this side of Superior WI if I had to save my life. If they had a larger distribution network I'm sure they would sell a lot more.

You cannot beat a top-handle for limbing brushing. I have a stable of 7 saws, my 192t would be the last one I would let go. The first time I used it I proceeded to give my rear a good kicking for not buying a top handle 20 years prior.

There's a great Dolmar dealer about an hour from me (and fellow AS member wetgunpowder). He took good care of me when I bought my PS-32. If something were to happen to my 2186 I'd be buying either a 7900 or 461.

I couldn't name an actual non big box Echo dealer this side of Superior WI if I had to save my life. If they had a larger distribution network I'm sure they would sell a lot more.

They are here in the local rent-it shops, rent or buy.

Locally, there is a farm equipment dealer (New Holland) that has a display of Echo OPE, but I don't think they service or stock parts.

There is also a local farmer who opened a saw shop for supplemental business. He stocks and repairs Dolmar, and has great service. My FIL bought a PS-32, and was having "trouble" with it. He called the shop, and they sent out a tech (the owner's son) to help him with it. Turned out the chainbrake was on :omg:, but he wouldn't let me try to diagnose, since the expert was coming.

No charge, and thanks for the business. They couldn't be a more stand-up outfit.

Anyway, I am definitely a fan of my Dolmar, and my Jonsered is just a beast. I've worked around Husky saws, and like them as well. But, I think if you are set up with all Stihl, it might make sense to stick with one brand, if your dealer is close and treats you right.

Of course, once CAD sets in, you might just need to try them all!

Latest posts

Back