Stihl saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HS Climber

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
so i picked up two old saws that i am going to build for race saws.

There both stihls. i know one is a 066 but i am not sure about the other one. one guy said it could be an 64 or a 66. the sticker is off the one saw.
How could i tell what it is?

I beleave the 064 had a white non tranparent (cant see thru) gas tank. the piston on the 064 is 52mm, the 066 is 54mm. the 064 didnt come with a compression release. If it has a poly flywheel its a late 066 or ms660. I would pull the jug and check the piston size then you will know for sure. if you planning on making a race saw from it you need to tare into it to check the condition anyway. so many parts are interchangable on these two saws it could have anything changed at one time or another. rick

stihl 034av salvage

have an 034av I'm trying to save. Compression is good, 130+ . Spark seems good. It starts and runs and idles but when I put it to the wood it bogs down. Somewhere it's lost it's pull. I'm not sure if it's the carb, the clutch. I'm at a standstill with it right now. Anybody got any suggestions I'm all ears. Thanks in advance for all your help. / Mike

Stihl Saws 056av super

Recently got hold of an 056. I like the construction, the extra metal, flat top. I was glad to discover that it has the same piston size as an 066. I know it is heavier,but I'm not too concerned with that. I lugged an 084av w/a 36in bar around in a swamp for 3 days cutting and bucking 5 medium size trees. The trees bordered a residential development and had to be dragged further into the swamp.
I'm looking to do a complete breakdown on this saw. It would be my first. I don't know if anyone would be willing to walk me through. I have the service manual and the IP L.
My experience is limited to breaking down to the clutch. BUT I WOULD LIKE TO HAVE SOME ONE WITH EXPERIENCE, so I don't actually ruin this saw. For instance, I took it apart once. Up to the clutch and the carburator, (which I think needs cleaning or a new kit),
when I put it back together. I had 2 extra bolts. I looked in the parts list breakdown and for the life of me couldn't find where I took them from. If some one has taken one of these older saws down to the piston and the crankshaft I'd be willing to listen to what they have to say. Thanks for getting through this reading. /Mike

Mike this saw is a tough one to break down and rebuild for a begginer,i dont know everything bout these saws but i know enough to tell you how to tear it down and reassemble it .Will be kinda hard to do over a computer but it could be done .

The pistons on the 066 and 056 are way different , the windows in the piston and the pin itself are different , dont know bout distance from crown to top of piston tho.

Why are you wanting to tear it down , just to examine it ?

The best advice i can give you on this is pay very close attention to what order you pull stuff off.
Make sure you put it on in the same order.
When you pull a piece off and have threaded screw holes left in another piece screw the removed screws back into the peice so you won't lose em or mix up screw locations..
Like i said its a tuff one to do but with time and a lil patience you can pull it off.
good luck

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back