Stihl saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Butterbean 150

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I see stihl with orange and black handles and some with white and black handles. What's the differences between the two? Besides the obvious different colors Lol!!

s-l300.jpg

If you need to ask,
you don't need to know. ;)

Hmmm....I didn't know.....until I asked! This is the place to learn! There are no stupid questions! We've all got to start somewhere! Yes, the homeowner grade saws have an integral rear handle/engine cover that is all orange. The other saws have the rear handle combined with the fuel tank and those are white.

Seems like just the 170, 180, and 211 series are the black rear handle. Assuming there all the same platform that’s why they are the same color.

The colored handles indicate how much weight the saw will hold when submerged. For instance, the orange and black handle will nicely anchor a destroyer. If you are looking to moor and Iowa class battleship , you use the white and black handle saw.

Correct, and the 291, 311, and 391. Ever notice that the stock mufflers on these clam shell saws sound differently than the pro line saws? They seem to whine more.

The 291, 311 and 391 have white handles. Moreover the 271 and 291 are siblings and the 311 and 391 are siblings, unlike before.

2bd3afbf75654137bed4000f5b4e0d15.jpg

Back