Stihl TS 500i, no spark

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poleman

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Ok guys.....I need some help....ya in more ways than one...I know.

Here's the situation: Playing with a 550 i that didn't have spark. Purchased a new module and a generator. I try ed the module first...nothing. next I put in the generator and it fired right up!!

Now the issue.....I thought (wrong thing to do) I'd put the old module back in and see if it was the generator....no start again. I then put the new module back in and have traced wires....wiggled this and cleaned that....nothing. I have pulled on this thing my right arm looks like Arnolds in his day.

Am I missing something on this? Being fuel injected I know I'm in way over my head here and any pointers and help would be much appreciated!!!

Thanks.......a LOT!!!

Check for spark. No use pulling if it does not have spark. If it has spark then dribble a little fuel in the sparkplug hole and try starting it again, it should fire right up if its not already flooded.

No...no spark...I did with new module and generator then I switched back to old to figure out what's was wrong and no spark again so I put the new module back on a like when it was running and no spark.....

If you have no spark now there is either a short to ground, disconnect the wires at the coil that go to the shut off switch to rule out they are not grounding out. If still no spark one of the new units has failed again. If the magnets in the flywheel have reversed polarity or even one reversed polarity it can take out a new module, seems to ruin the triggering switch in the module.

There is I think 16 wires in 5 plugs going into the module/coil and a generator under the fly wheel which has a bunch of triggers on them like almost on a car.
Fuel injected....no carb..

Ok guys.....I need some help....ya in more ways than one...I know.

Here's the situation: Playing with a 550 i that didn't have spark. Purchased a new module and a generator. I try ed the module first...nothing. next I put in the generator and it fired right up!!

Now the issue.....I thought (wrong thing to do) I'd put the old module back in and see if it was the generator....no start again. I then put the new module back in and have traced wires....wiggled this and cleaned that....nothing. I have pulled on this thing my right arm looks like Arnolds in his day.

Am I missing something on this? Being fuel injected I know I'm in way over my head here and any pointers and help would be much appreciated!!!

Thanks.......a LOT!!!
Ok, so this is a pretty old thread, but I'm in a similar situation, and wondering if you ever got to the bottom of this. Mine is a TS500i with no spark. Stihl dealer diagnosed it as a bad control unit. New control unit, still no spark. They say that the kill switch is bad, I tested it out, it isn't. They say Stihl tech support says check for a vacuum leak, or a compression leak/do a leak down test. If I wanted to fire the parts cannon at it, that would be one thing, but I don't. Before I order a new generator-as that's what I think is wrong, I figured I would see if you ever got yours fixed. Thanks!

We had one of those a few months ago and it was a hardly visible piece of insulation grounding the control cable to the magnesium. New wiring harness cured it.

Leak will have nothing to do with spark, unless there is some voodoo that I don't understand going on.
Thanks for the insight. Was it the section of harness running alongside the flywheel?

From what I understand, they have a sensor in the jug, and if they don't have compression, the fuel injection/spark is halted. I may be a little off base here, but I'll thumb through the service manual to double check that.

Thanks for the insight. Was it the section of harness running alongside the flywheel?

From what I understand, they have a sensor in the jug, and if they don't have compression, the fuel injection/spark is halted. I may be a little off base here, but I'll thumb through the service manual to double check that.
Yes, it was in that groove that routes it around the flywheel.

Latest posts

Back