Stihl Turbine Chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Something else I just thought of a turbine is going to have quite a bit of thrust coming out of the exhaust which would probably make it pretty unwieldy not to mention the insane Heat it would probably start a log on fire if you're bucking

I wonder how they gear it down? I mean, the gear reduction between the gas turbine shaft and the clutch drum has got to be like a million-to-1

Seems like that's gotta require a pretty substantial gear train! Or maybe it uses some kind of fluid clutch / torque converter?

The electric start makes sense I was wondering because I know how much it takes to start a much smaller turbine and I didn't think a pull would do it. Kerosene would be much cheaper than JP5 which is 6.00 a gallon and I figure it will consume 5-6 gals an hour but that's just a guess based on what the smaller ones use that I have experience with. The BRAGGING RIGHTS tho lol
Yes I 100% agree it still very cool.
I wonder how they gear it down? I mean, the gear reduction between the gas turbine shaft and the clutch drum has got to be like a million-to-1

Seems like that's gotta require a pretty substantial gear train! Or maybe it uses some kind of fluid clutch / torque converter?
So it's an Indirect power transfer, there is another turbine that the Jet spins to turn the gearbox. Kind of hard to explain, but there is nothing that physically couples the gear box to the Jet. It kinda like a fan blowing on another fan. (Very simplistic explanation) as I understand it, depending on how the driven turbine is configured and how the gear box is set up depends on your out put rpm and like mentioned there isn't much left as far as thrust goes after it's done powered the gear box. But I do agree the exhaust is very hot and flames are likely at some point or another during operation.

The combustion compressor turbine and the output power turbine aren't connected. The output power turbine can be tuned for basically whatever rpm is needed by the equipment being driven, within reason of course. 12k RPMs would be fine, even if the compressor side is spinning 10x that. There may not even need to be a clutch, as the output power turbine can be stopped entirely, while the combustion side keeps running.

Edit: Here we go, stolen from Wikipedia here https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turboshaft

wikipedia.png

The combustion compressor turbine and the output power turbine aren't connected. The output power turbine can be tuned for basically whatever rpm is needed by the equipment being driven, within reason of course. 12k RPMs would be fine, even if the compressor side is spinning 10x that. There may not even need to be a clutch, as the output power turbine can be stopped entirely, while the combustion side keeps running.

Edit: Here we go, stolen from Wikipedia here https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turboshaft

View attachment 932611
Thanks, explained it much better then me lol.

Smaller rim on the drum, turn up the rpm. Shallow depth on the rakers. Ballistic stainless chaps.

Kick back at 25,000 rpm? OSHA would love this.

by the time it was started up I would have cut everything, if that turbine ingests some trash will it explode and kill people around it? will it set trees on fire? I mean its pretty cool as a novelty but im not sold on its longevity, ease of use and functionality.

by the time it was started up I would have cut everything, if that turbine ingests some trash will it explode and kill people around it? will it set trees on fire? I mean its pretty cool as a novelty but im not sold on its longevity, ease of use and functionality.
That's just crazy talk...SPOIL SPORT!
DirtDOG.gif

I want one built from a Lycoming helicopter engine!

Latest posts

Back