Stihl Upgrade?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tremblingwaters

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
So here is my dilemma that I need some input on. I currently have a ms261 with an 18" bar that is awesome. However, the "not ever enough" part of me wants to change it up a little.

So the question is, do I get the 261 ported or sell it and do an ms362 with a 20" bar? I'm assuming I'll still notice a power difference even by going to the bigger bar but I also love the weight of the 261.

Also have a 029super that I could do something with...

Thoughts? Experiences?

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

Are you stuck on Stihl? Do you need new? There are well proven saws in the used market that will match up to your 50cc better. For instance, a Husqvarna 372,or 576. A Stihl 440 or 460. A dolmar 7200.

What I’m getting at is 50/70 cc combo is a better two saw plan then 50/60. And if new is out of the budget. A quality used from some reputable members on here can set you up.

A ported 261 is pretty much my most used saw, for what it's worth.

I'd agree with the guys above saying to sell the 029. They bring good money on Craigslist. Then buy a 044/440/046/460 or a 365/372. Dolmar 7900 would be a great choice too.

A good ported 036 or 044/46 will set u back 500-700 and do all you want it to do. Keep your 261 and do a muff mod.

Keep in mind, an 036 is the same physical size as your 261. With a modded oiler, you can run nearly any bar you want. Should last a great deal longer than the new computer saws if you’re nice to it.

A stock 362 is a bit of a turd and is the same size as an 044.

Here’s a new build of an NOS 036 PRO pulling a 28” 3/8 full comp chain in hardwood. The saw isn’t broken in yet. It’s it’s first run, so it’s still not ready to be unleashed.

A good 036 is a thing of beauty.

Thanks guys, this is all super helpful!

Sounds like keeping the 261 makes sense and getting it ported or at least doing a muffler mod. I'll search around some forums for mod info and such. If ya have any tips let me know.

I agree though, selling the 029 and saving up for a larger saw sounds good to me. The 462 needs to become available, that thing is awesome! I also like the idea of having a 50/70cc saw combo then a 50/60 or even just a 60 by itself.

Lots of options but this definitely gets me thinking in the right direction.

Back