Stihl- which one?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greg Perryman

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
About 3yrs ago I bought an 024av Stihl. It was a really good saw. Long story short, the piston and cylinder walls are junk. I plan on rebuilding it myself later, but for now I really need another saw comparable to size. Not looking for any brand except for Stihl { My preference}. Main use we be for light brush and limbing purposes. I used to have a 170 , but the feel and power of the 024 felt just right. After several searches Im torn between the 180 or the 211 model. The 241 model is just out of my price range. Now here is my question. Are there any problems Stihl is having with the easy start and quick chain tensioner system? I have never experienced these features and would like the pros and cons to these options. Thanks.

The paws on the recoil of the C tended to break in the mid thousand 250C I owned. I removed the quick adjust and easy start because they just didn't handle being used very well.

About 3yrs ago I bought an 024av Stihl. It was a really good saw. Long story short, the piston and cylinder walls are junk. I plan on rebuilding it myself later, but for now I really need another saw comparable to size. Not looking for any brand except for Stihl { My preference}. Main use we be for light brush and limbing purposes. I used to have a 170 , but the feel and power of the 024 felt just right. After several searches Im torn between the 180 or the 211 model. The 241 model is just out of my price range. Now here is my question. Are there any problems Stihl is having with the easy start and quick chain tensioner system? I have never experienced these features and would like the pros and cons to these options. Thanks.
No if you used them properly i recoment you a little biger than the 211 maybe the 231 weight about 300 gramms more than the 211, but its another story
good luck

Do you want or need a new saw? The saw most equivalent to the 024 would be the 026/MS260. Neither are made anymore but readily available on the used market. Otherwise, if you want new, the MS271 or MS261 would be in that ballpark. The 261 would be the better saw but probably $150+ more than the MS271. Otherwise, what about another good running 024? They're out there. One was in the trading post recently listed by Warpig6. Not sure if it's still available.

Do you want or need a new saw? The saw most equivalent to the 024 would be the 026/MS260. Neither are made anymore but readily available on the used market. Otherwise, if you want new, the MS271 or MS261 would be in that ballpark. The 261 would be the better saw but probably $150+ more than the MS271. Otherwise, what about another good running 024? They're out there. One was in the trading post recently listed by Warpig6. Not sure if it's still available.
Yes i agree the 261cm is a very good but the man say that he dont have too much money, no the 271 its not a saw its a transexual.

The 271 will easily out perform an 024. They are a good saw with better AV and substantially better air filtration. In reality a 251 would be just about the same performance as an 024. Yes, it's a clam shell homeowner's saw, but it will last a long, long time in the hands of an occasional user.

The 271 will easily out perform an 024. They are a good saw with better AV and substantially better air filtration. In reality a 251 would be just about the same performance as an 024. Yes, it's a clam shell homeowner's saw, but it will last a long, long time in the hands of an occasional user.
for me if you give that money for the 271 , 291 give a little more and buy a pro series at least you have a magnesium crankcase not a half plastic and half magnesium

If there's any way you can swing the $ for a 241 it's by far worth it! Hard for an Echo/Husky guy to admit. Otherwise you'd be happy with the 271 or go to the used market. 180 or 211 will be a big let down from an 024!

Too bad you're limiting yourself to Stihl. The CS-400 is the best limbing saw in history for someone on a budget.

With my current financial state, keeping my price range below 300 is a must. The dealer here in my area is able to do in house financing. After a lot of thought, I narrowed my choices down to the 170 -181 series. I really would like to try out the 180 series. But the quick chain adjustment option and easy start has me weary. I like my stuff plain and simple. I keep on forgetting I am planning on rebuilding this old saw. In sight of this I really just need something small at this point. Thanks for all the advice, its really helpful.

I would look to buy a non catalytic converter saw with an adjustable carb. Auto tune is nice if your not into tuning your own.
Some of the cheaper Stihls have only one screw carbs. Not Good!
In small cheap saws I would look at Echo & Dolmar. I think you get more for your money. Not all Stihls & Husquvarns are top notch.

I would be looking at a good used pro saw like another 024 for $150 or an 026 for around $200. I would probably get a Poulan before I got a 180. Poulan 5020 for around $200.

A man should be able to come up with a good used 026 for two bills but if I was on a tight budget I would do something different. If you are going to rebuild the 024 there is really no need to have to saws of similar size lying around. Anything in the 300 hundred dollar range from stihl you will not be pleased with compared with the 024av.

All good suggestions. My dealer support for the area is Stihl, husky, and echo. I don't trust the echo dealer here. He literally screwed my Grandpa and the Service dept. cant fix a sandwich. My family have had all Stihls with the exception of an Echo and Poulans. Stihl has proven their reliability with us over and over again. I got a lead on a used saw for a good price. Its 2 yrs old used very little and will work for what I want and stay out of debt. to boot. Update soon to follow.:)

Btw anyone recommend a good supplier to buy a crankcase and piston for my 024.

And you own and have used an MS271? Or are you basing this on something someone else said that has also never used that model?
the stihl have three categories for their saws, in which of them is the 271 ? ???? why ????

All good suggestions. My dealer support for the area is Stihl, husky, and echo. I don't trust the echo dealer here. He literally screwed my Grandpa and the Service dept. cant fix a sandwich. My family have had all Stihls with the exception of an Echo and Poulans. Stihl has proven their reliability with us over and over again. I got a lead on a used saw for a good price. Its 2 yrs old used very little and will work for what I want and stay out of debt. to boot. Update soon to follow.:)

Btw anyone recommend a good supplier to buy a crankcase and piston for my 024.
Chainsawr.com is a sponsor and a good resource for used and new parts. Otherwise there seems to be an 024 part out on eBay fairly often.

Latest posts

Back