stihl yellow chain on a green anti kickback bar? will this work?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtracy1223

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Been searching and could not find the answer so I figger ill just put it up here. I have a stihl 290 with a anti kickback bar and chain set up. I want to run a yellow link chain but was not sure if it would work on the safty bar. Thanks for the help guys.
Ps- what chain should I go for? Just want something that will run good and be a little mor agressive than the green link chains I have been using.

It'll work fine. I don't think the cutters really differ much between green and yellow chain. The green chains have extra weight and drag due to the safety bumpers.

Can you identify the chain you are currently running? It will help you get more input from us

I have a 025 with a 16" Rollomatic E green bar and it has been running .325 RSC chisel chain for a long time.

"C3" chain has the extra raker on the top side of every other drive link that runs alongside the raker on the cutter link.

As long as the gauge and pitch are the same the bar is color blind. If this was an issue you would need a separate bar for every variety of chain that you use on a saw.

Then you'll want to try some RS or RM (chisel or semi chisel, respectively) in .325 of the proper length and gage of course.

Anyone know what the major difference between the anti kickback bars and normal bars are? What makes them safer or less likly to kick back? Safty aside would a non safty bar work any better?

Anyone know what the major difference between the anti kickback bars and normal bars are? What makes them safer or less likly to kick back? Safty aside would a non safty bar work any better?

The bar nose diameter is smaller on the reduced kick back bars, supposedly the narrower the bar nose is the less chance of a kick back. If you don't plan on plunge cutting a lot I don't think it makes much difference.

The so-called anti-kickback bars are intended to be paired with safety chain that presents either a larger effective depth gauge surface area (ramped drive links) or outwardly extended bumper links (triple-humped tie straps with long tail) that keep the cutters from taking a deep bite when going around the end of the bar. Green bars have a smaller nose radius to let the safety links have a greater effect. The green bar (small nose radius) will actually be more susceptible to kickback than a large nosed bar when used with non-safety chain, and especially so with skip or semi-skip. That is why the large nosed bars are preferred for bore cutting.

Hmm good info. Maybe I should start thinking about a different bar before I get the chain??? How much more susceptible to kick back are we talking? Very much so? Don't think I will be getting a skip tooth chain but still don't want to push the limit to far.

The so-called anti-kickback bars are intended to be paired with safety chain that presents either a larger effective depth gauge surface area (ramped drive links) or outwardly extended bumper links (triple-humped tie straps with long tail) that keep the cutters from taking a deep bite when going around the end of the bar. Green bars have a smaller nose radius to let the safety links have a greater effect. The green bar (small nose radius) will actually be more susceptible to kickback than a large nosed bar when used with non-safety chain, and especially so with skip or semi-skip. That is why the large nosed bars are preferred for bore cutting.

If you are worried about it and it makes you feel better, get a new bar. There are thousands of Stihl chainsaws running green dot bars and yellow dot chains. Almost every Stihl chainsaw that goes out the door does so with a green dot bar and then most customers come in and buy yellow chains.

Also good info. I need to get a back up bar any way. If I were to do so I might as well buy one that will work best with the chain I would like to run. I have been using this bar for 3 yrs now and it it still in good shape but I have not put much ware on it. Its good to have a back up and I could run my green dot chains on the green dot bar and yellow on yellow. Who knows. Now that I have a few extra saws I would like to sell or trade in the 290 on a pro saw like a 261 or a 346. But my 290 has less than 20 tanks threw it and will not sell/trade enless I get a good price out of it. Still I don't want to invest too much in a saw I might trade out....... and here I go rambling on again about my saw plan again and getting off subject.

If you are worried about it and it makes you feel better, get a new bar. There are thousands of Stihl chainsaws running green dot bars and yellow dot chains. Almost every Stihl chainsaw that goes out the door does so with a green dot bar and then most customers come in and buy yellow chains.

Back