Stihlmans Wood,Tree cutting ramblings...........

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stihlman, how are you bucking those logs in that pile into rings? Are you lifting with the grapple bucket and bucking the overhangs and then either bucking the rest on the ground or dumping the bucket-width length logs into a cradle and mowing through them with a big bar or some other way? It's the part of my wee operation I can't find a very good solution for yet. I don't like bucking logs on the ground if I can avoid it, I don't like not being able to get at the bucket-width log remainders while they are still in the bucket, and I don't like the double handling of logs or rings if I then dump the logs into a cradle, buck and then have to pick up the rings again.

Ya use the tractor with the grapple to hold the logs a waste heigh for blocking,then put the remaining bit on top of the blocks to do last,its only a couple of cuts cant find a better way.Some time grab a grapple full of blocks and hold next the splitter table so dont have to bend over and pick them off the ground.

Been dreaming of ways to super-size one of these:

Or until I win lotto just bend up some galv pipe for cradles wide enough to match my 32" bar and lift logs into those then lift cradle above a sloping table next to the splitter and mow through the logs. It means only getting off the tractor to saw the logs, and the rings stay at splitter height. But this doesn't work for logs bigger than the cradle width and is starting to depart from a KISS theme too much.

You probably have posted it before but I have missed it or forgotten.

What size bar do you run on the 241?

At what size wood do you reach for a bigger saw? And do you go for the 261 or straight to the 441?

I run a 16'' bar on the 241C which is ported and will cut full bar lenght no probs.
I dont seam to use the 261 anymore.
After that the the 441 comes out or the 461.

I run a 16'' bar on the 241C which is ported and will cut full bar lenght no probs.
I dont seam to use the 261 anymore.
After that the the 441 comes out or the 461.
I was kind of afraid thats what you'd say. (dont use the 261 much any more)

I have been contemplating getting another saw and the 241 has my attention, thanks for the response.

I have been contemplating getting another saw and the 241 has my attention, thanks for the response.
Do it wap13. You won't be disappointed. I'm trying to find a solid 18 or 20" 3/8LP bar for my 241 when not in dense wood. It would mean I don't have to roll out the 20" bar on the bigger saw which can then stay with 24+" bars on it. Keeps it down to a great 2-saw plan for most work here with no compromises.

The 241 doesn't protest too much (but I don't lean on it) when I bury a 16" 3/8LP bar in dense wood. By dense I mean a 30yo trunk can be under 4".

Using the 241 always brings a smile. Absolute pleasure to use a powerful and well balanced wee saw. Would be lost without it.

Latest posts

Back