Stihl's best is ____???? (please vote)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davefr

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
What are Stihl's best designed and manufactured saws and why?

I'm curious your opinion on 028, 038, 026, 044, 036, 046, 066, or 064.

If you had to pick a small saw would it be 028 or 26, for medium would it be 038, 036, or 044, for a heavy cutter would it be 046, 064, or 066?

I think 026 trumps 028 due to it being lighter, but 038 trumps 044 because it's better built, but at a weight penalty. 046, 064, and 066 don't have that much weight difference so I'd lean to 066 due to it's awsome power/weight ratio.

038Magnum isn't made any more, so I'd pick the 044. 044 has an awesome air filtration system.
Small saw would be 026. Light and strong, anything over 18"-20" you can grab the 044.
Never messed with an 046 or 064. Used an 066 for a year- with a 36" bar as our big saw. Wasn't impressed after using a Husky 3120XP the previous 3 years. The 044 will handle damn near everything except the biggest wood, and for that I'd want an 088 or a big Husky.

The above is just my opinion, and you know what they say about opinions...........................

I pick up the 044 if I can't cut it with a Husky 136.I rarely touch the 026 or 024(older saw).I am fortunate enough to have a good ground crew that takes care of the big stuff.Climbing is tough enough.

I have had 026, 028, 031, 036,038,064 and 066 models. I used them all for slightly different jobs (tree climbing, small stuff, root saw, ripping, brushing and the bull work, ofcourse).

Each has its own minor annoyances, but all were very good to me. The 031, in particular, for its day, stands out as a bull of a saw. It was small, but it worked like a diesel, all day long. I made a bunch of money from that saw.

I've got a Stihl 029 Farm Boss and an 066 Mag. There hasnt been a tree that I could not handle yet. Both saws have never let me down to date and I'm pretty hard on them. Not a proffesional....... but like good equipment.:blob2:

I think the HT75 POLE PRUNER is one of the slicker saws they make.It's one of the handest saws I have,big time saver and almost never have to sharpen it.well made with very few weak spots.:D Dan

Yeah, I know what you mean Andrew. I know this is not a fair test but the 009 experiment is over. I tried my buddy's 046 Magnum and it cut great but just didnt feel right. Luckily God gave us saws that start with "H" :p

020t or the new ms200t, for small lmbng in the tree, 044 for felling those mediume sized trees did have an 066 but only used it a few times for stump cuts

Originally posted by homelite360
never touched a sthil and don't plan on it any time soon. sthil's are like kryptonite to homelite guys. :)
:confused: sthil make chainsaws, what do homelite make? vacum cleaners

I like the 026 as a small saw, 046 as a medium saw and the 066mag as a large saw, although the firm I work for now uses huskys exclusively. The only stihl I use is my trusty 020T climbing saw, which is without a doubt my favorite top handled saw.

Hello Treetrunk,
The 066 stihl is the best of the saws on your list but the stihl 090 is the best saw they ever made, 144cc, 13 hp stock, and with a little porting and piston work and a pipe probably 22-25 horsepower. i would rate the 084 and 088 third
Ken Dunn

Its really simple 026 Pro for ground work and sure footed safe limbing. The 046 Mag for your all a rounder. Then for the absolutely positively got to have that tree the size of Texas cut down right now go for the 088. Reasons:

026 lightweight, balanced and got some real power 16" or smaller bar if you can.

046 versatility put a 16" bar and cut through steel or go long bar and take on the large stuff

088 simply put, watch out and let her eat.

Being truly biased like I am, I will say the most versatile saw is the 046 Mag. go big or go small you can fit a bar on it just about for anything and you can limb with it too (just not all day)

I bought my first 026 Pro yesterday. I feel like a kid at Christmas time. I can't wait to go out and play with my new toy. :blob2: :blob1: :blob4:

Sonny, I thought it was always weird to have a 16in 046 also, but when I used to sell, I used to get it all the time. Less load, less likely to wear out.......I guess. The other reasons are log cabin builders dont want long bars. I used to sell to tons on log brokers.

Shorter bar = safer chainsaw and if you know how to use it there arent too many trees you can cut down with a 16" bar anyways. For stumps throw a 28" on and go to town. Face it sonny, it is only a matter of time before I get a 3120Xp and slap the 12" bar off my XL2 on it:D

Latest posts

Back