Stihl's best is ____???? (please vote)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
that is about along the same lines as the mall model 11 you could order it with a 18" bar on it yet it could easily handel up wards to a 72" bar.

046 is a great saw but it's fairly heavy. For one pound extra weight you can move up to a 066. (I can barely percieve the weight difference betweeen an 046 and 066 yet the power difference is very obvious). If I wanted a "one size fits all" saw for more than just pruning, I think it would be an 044.

Weight is reasonable and it will still do 99% of tasks asked of it.

davefr,

You have a good point but here is my rebuttal. Price/hp

Now i dont know where you are from but here a 066 is a cool $1000+ and the 046 i bought was $720. So is one hp worth around $250-$300. Personnally i dont think so. Now what your thinking is that the 044 is lighter and has almost as much power as the 046. I paid about $60 more for the 046 than the 044 so for around $60 i purchased more power and the all encompassing decompression button. Not that i use that button now but in my older years i think that little option is worth its weight in gold. So i think that the 046 is the best saw for the mid range for the money that stihl makes.

you didn't ask about a climbing saw but nothing beats a 020t.
i haven't had much experiance with the small saws you mentioned. I've always started with 036 and up for ground saws.the 44 is a much better choice thow.
Depending on how often you get into the big wood, the 46 might be your saw. It dosn't give up much to the 66's power to weight ratio, and will only slow you down noticeably if you have several cuts on the same job that requires a saw that large. otherwize go with the 066 and be prepared for about a 20 to 25 percent price difference. Good luck.

in my opinion sthil is un matched for power ,durability, dealer locations, my fave is my old 08s with a 32 inch bar 017 for slash work i also use a old xl76 and a super 2 homelite (i leave em out in the shop so nobody steals my good saws lol )

treeclimber165 said:
038Magnum isn't made any more
Correction, its no made in the USA anymore, in Brazil, austraila, the UK, and other nations its still in production.

IMO, the 038 Mag is as good as it gets with power, I tried stopping mine with a 20" bar and 3/8X8 rim on it, it cannot be stopped unless you hit the chain brake. Still waiting to get the money to order som parts and get my 120 up and running, but thats a different story.

Super pro 125,er,opps,wrong color.Of the orange an whites I've used,it would be the 066,but I don't own one .[yet]

Treetrunk has named the 4 saws that I like best that stihl offers. The reason being that these 4 saws offer the most refinement in their respected class. Power -to- weight -to- filtration -to- parts availability -to- trouble free operations. the 028 was a good saw but had problems with snapping cranks. The 064 was a good saw but was way out classed with the 066 for power with no more weight. Same with the 044 to the 046. The 020T is just an all around technically refined beauty: Light, well ballanced, and pound for pound one of the best saws ever desinged and refined. Only my opinions here, but hey you asked for it.

ike g said:
:confused: sthil make chainsaws, what do homelite make? vacum cleaners

Homeanite make nickel & dime store, bargain basement low powered equipment, low quality goods.

Everything you ever wanted in power equipment! :eek:

During the 60 s,Homey made a pretty good saw,old school,of course.I can't recall ever seeing any 60 s series Stihls,but would imagine the type of design would be similar to all of the time period.

stihl

OK, after 20 years of repair, the actual best saw is an 028. Next, 041. This is with longevity in mind.
Present, 460 and 026.
Least repaired saw in this shop, a 290. Laugh all you want, but the durability of the saw has been amazing, especially when you take into account that the normal 290 user has little or no idea how to maintain a saw when he/she buys one. The filter will have a pound of sawdust on it, water in the fuel, and a dull chain. A little maintenance, and away it goes again. And I just got my first parts saw after some one fell a tree on it.

Stihltech, not really surprised by the 026 and 460. I still believe lbs for lbs they still offer some of the best bang for your $ and their longevity is probably second to none. I am surprised however that the 036 is not also right up there with them.

Certain here frown upon the 029/290 because of their design, however except for its weight disadvantage they do as good as many models of many brands out there.

stihltech said:
OK, after 20 years of repair, the actual best saw is an 028. Next, 041. This is with longevity in mind.
Present, 460 and 026.
Least repaired saw in this shop, a 290. Laugh all you want, but the durability of the saw has been amazing, especially when you take into account that the normal 290 user has little or no idea how to maintain a saw when he/she buys one. The filter will have a pound of sawdust on it, water in the fuel, and a dull chain. A little maintenance, and away it goes again. And I just got my first parts saw after some one fell a tree on it.

Ive got probably 5 junk 029's now, 3 ran on raw gas and 2 smashed. Hell of a saw really, considering the numbers sold and numbers repaired. Really the only thing I get is fuel lines, and a plugged muffler.

Alot laugh at the 009, ive got 2 phone companies in town and the power company that have a whole raft of 009-011 saws. They seem to run forever, with a little maintance. the guys running them just run them till they quit, a little tlc and out the door they go. I can't say as have junked one of their saws. They tried 021's but didn't get the reliability and longetivity out of them.

My opinion, 028, one hell of a saw, I get alot of people that spend tons of money on them all the time. A timber saw is the 066, ive slung one for 4 years and will continue. With some maintance they last a long time...

Stihl.........Stihl in the shop! just joking but some of them are garbage same with Husky, many, many hits but a few misses Best saws they ever made in my opinion 020 climbing saw and then the old 034.

My vote goes to the 046, good for everything. I run it with 18" bar with 3/8-8 sprocket for limbing and look out! or swap to the 3/8-7 with the 36" and let it cut the main stem (only swap sprocket down if its hard wood).
-Ralph

LOL Anyone notice this thread is 3 yrs old? But it is one that can continue right on. LOL

kdhotsaw said:
Hello Treetrunk,
The 066 stihl is the best of the saws on your list but the stihl 090 is the best saw they ever made, 144cc, 13 hp stock, and with a little porting and piston work and a pipe probably 22-25 horsepower. i would rate the 084 and 088 third
Ken Dunn

Ken,

I realize your post is 3 years old and In no way am I trying to insult your intelligence. You know much more about this subject than I do but I think the 13HP stock is a fallicy. Also the 144cc is a little off from the 137cc that I have in mind. There have been some rumors of some bigger stihl saws at around 150cc so maybe I am wrong.

Thanks,
Bill

Back