Stihl's gas tank Cap Attachment

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sagetown

Farmer and a STIHL
Reaction score
Hello. On my new Stihl saw, the gas cap has a cord with a small plastic ball on the end. How does that attach to the inside of the gas tank ? There is a small molding inside the tank. Is that where the ball is supposed to go? My manual doesn't show anything. The cap has always been attached during every filling, until this last time. :msp_w00t:
Thanks

Yes, there is a slot that the ball goes in to inside the tank near the opening.

for 1998 and newer saws.........

fuelcap.jpg

it goes in slot # 2, the pic shows removal, installation is reverse of removal

Last edited:
for 1998 and newer saws.........

fuelcap.jpg

it goes in slot # 2, the pic shows removal, installation is reverse of removal

Thanks everyone. That was exactly what I suspected, but pondered on whether to pour out the fuel and check inside for who knows what. :msp_biggrin:

Once the ball on my caps doesn't want to stay in, or comes out, I switch to the other style with the V-shaped holder. Any dealer should have them available, if you need a pic let me know. A lot less of a PITA.

Once the ball on my caps doesn't want to stay in, or comes out, I switch to the other style with the V-shaped holder. Any dealer should have them available, if you need a pic let me know. A lot less of a PITA.
I had a feeling it may not lock back in. Thanks for the heads-up.
Round peg in a square hole is an old school no-brainer.

I had a feeling it may not lock back in. Thanks for the heads-up.
Round peg in a square hole is an old school no-brainer.

I would say more like a small round peg into a large round peg hole. I think the plastic that holds the ball gets stressed out and doesn't have the compression it used to when new.

I would say more like a small round peg into a large round peg hole. I think the plastic that holds the ball gets stressed out and doesn't have the compression it used to when new.

I've got a cap that wont stay hooked in the slot. I always thought it was the ball of the cap tether that failed. You're saying thats not the case?

I've got a cap that wont stay hooked in the slot. I always thought it was the ball of the cap tether that failed. You're saying thats not the case?

Not sure, could be the cap ball or the slot. But the first time it happened to me, bought a new cap, wouldn't stay in, so now I just buy the V style with zero problems. Nothing good ever comes from worn out balls and slots... sorry somebody had to. :laugh:

Back