stihls??? help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dumbhunter

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
now i got all the attention of you stihl guys. first dont get mad but a couple of questions that puzzle me about stihl saws. why so many models, do they need over 30 current models of saws???? and the year goes by and now you have different model numbers???? example of 044-440-441, or ms 230-ms 230 c be, blah, blah, blah. LOL but i think it is way overkill and confusing.:dizzy: :dizzy:

cant they just simplify things and make few models that are even better (quality over quantity).

you can say right tool for the right job, but alot of them are just overkill as some: will do the same as another.

is it all about money? more types of saws=more sales?

i know alot of nothing on this but can someone put it in simple terms thats so easy a caveman can understand or me?.:crazy1:

I wish it was easy to tell the Stihl pro saws from the non pro saws. Husky has lots of saws too but the good ones say XP after the number. Get thier catolog, it expalins whats what. You can find a saw that is best, or one that is not thier best but is cheaper, its all there.

if the second # is even it is a pro ie 361 441 460 older ones have 0 in front of them but same deal

Last edited:
It's very simple, most Stihl consumers are easy to confuse given their psychological state of mind, thus all the ridiculous numbering.

2k for example, would he know the difference between a 024 and a 025? Probably, but the independent Stihl dealer will pick up on his lack of intellect and lead him towards the over priced 361. This is common practice with Stihl, pick out someone like 2k, tell them that it is the greatest saw made and release them back into civilization and have them do all their promoting. Quite ingenious if you think about it.

It's very simple, most Stihl consumers are easy to confuse given their psychological state of mind, thus all the ridiculous numbering.

2k for example, would he know the difference between a 024 and a 025? Probably, but the independent Stihl dealer will pick up on his lack of intellect and lead him towards the over priced 361. This is common practice with Stihl, pick out someone like 2k, tell them that it is the greatest saw made and release them back into civilization and have them do all their promoting. Quite ingenious if you think about it.

Is he for real?:confused:

even # odd#

ok that might help, sort of like landmines- even number and odd, one is antitank- the other is antiperson... with out knowning what is what, you will know you will get a boom....:smoking:

Saw ID

MS=motor saw
C= features
B=Quick chain adjuster
E=easy to start
Q=2ndary chain brake
T=top handle
R=wrap handle
V=heated carb
W=heated handle
VW=Stihl Arctic

HOME OWNER SAWS
170-180-210-230-250-270-280-290-310-390

PRO SAWS
260-361-440-441-460-650-660-880---200-(192)

270 and 280 Have more pro features than some of the other HO saws. IMHO the 192 is a HO top handle saw:confused:

Last edited:
560!!!! Gotta find me one of them!
You mean 650? Is this classed as pro?
So do you guys not get the 240? I've got an old 024, it's gotta be a pro model ;)

The 240 and 650 are both pro saws by design, but I see little point in getting them, when the 260 and 660 are basically the same, with more power.

Even though I am a Stihl Fan.....I have wondered why the need for so many models. Stihl actually claims to have 3 ranges of saws for the Occasional User, Mid-Range User, and Professional. I understand the need to make affordable and reliable saws for the occasional user - and the need to make affordable and durable saws for the professional, but Stihl does seem to have a few extra models in their lineup and none of them are in the Professional lineup. (The previously available 024/026 may be the exception).

The 170/180 are 1.6 and 1.9 HP.....is there really a need for both?
The 230/250 are 2.5 and 3.0 HP.....is there really a need for both?
The 290/310/390 are 3.8, 4.0 and 4.3HP .....is there really a need for three?

Since the difference in power usually comes from a bore increase, and it really shouldn't cost anymore to build a slightly larger bore as all saws need a cylinder and piston - why not just eliminate the smaller models (or in the case of the 290/310/390 eliminate the 310). The biggest difference between the models is just the price and if the prices were made similar I am sure most people would buy the one with the larger horsepower since weight is not increased by a bore change.

I am sure that Stihl has done a great deal of market research....and they have found that the professionals know what they want and are able to choose between the 6 models (200T, 260, 361, 441, 460, 660, 880). The homeowner however does not necessarily know what they want - but they have some idea of what they want to spend....so Stihl has created a product line with that will allow the buyer to find one that is real close to what they wanted to spend. I just did a price check on the MS290 and the MS390 with both having a 20" bar - and the 290 lists for $ 379.95 and the 390 a bunch more at $ 519.95. The bore increase cost $ 140 more - not because it cost Stihl that much to increase the HP - but because the consumer must pay that much for the extra horsepower. I am sure that if Stihl made the 390 at the same price as the 290 - there would be very few people buying the 290. I believe that Stihl could probably get buy with fewer homeowner saws - but they want to be able to provide saws with only $ 30 or so between each model so they are certain to have a saw in your price range.

Last edited:
If you can't figure out what the saw is or it's application you do not deserve to run/own the saw.............................:jester:

Get a catalog, it's really not difficult to figure out..................even my teenage kids know what the good models are and their intended task.:monkey: For some silly reason I know the numbering system for the saw makes that I like to run. Not so much for the others. None of them make a hell of a lot of sense regardless of color.

Even though I am a Stihl Fan.....I have wondered why the need for so many models. Stihl actually claims to have 3 ranges of saws for the Occasional User, Mid-Range User, and Professional. I understand the need to make affordable and reliable saws for the occasional user - and the need to make affordable and durable saws for the professional, but Stihl does seem to have a few extra models in their lineup and none of them are in the Professional lineup. (The previously available 024/026 may be the exception).

The 170/180 are 1.6 and 1.9 HP.....is there really a need for both?
The 230/250 are 2.5 and 3.0 HP.....is there really a need for both?
The 290/310/390 are 2.8, 3.0 and 4.3HP .....is there really a need for three?

Since the difference in power usually comes from a bore increase, and it really shouldn't cost anymore to build a slightly larger bore as all saws need a cylinder and piston - why not just eliminate the smaller models (or in the case of the 290/310/390 eliminate the 310). The biggest difference between the models is just the price and if the prices were made similar I am sure most people would buy the one with the larger horsepower since weight is not increased by a bore change.

I am sure that Stihl has done a great deal of market research....and they have found that the professionals know what they want and are able to choose between the 6 models (200T, 260, 361, 441, 460, 660, 880). The homeowner however does not necessarily know what they want - but they have some idea of what they want to spend....so Stihl has created a product line with that will allow the buyer to find one that is real close to what they wanted to spend. I just did a price check on the MS290 and the MS390 with both having a 20" bar - and the 290 lists for $ 379.95 and the 390 a bunch more at $ 519.95. The bore increase cost $ 140 more - not because it cost Stihl that much to increase the HP - but because the consumer must pay that much for the extra horsepower. I am sure that if Stihl made the 390 at the same price as the 290 - there would be very few people buying the 290. I believe that Stihl could probably get buy with fewer homeowner saws - but they want to be able to provide saws with only $ 30 or so between each model so they are certain to have a saw in your price range.

Great Post.

I think you've hit the nail on the head. :cheers:

Back