stihls??? help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's very simple, most Stihl consumers are easy to confuse given their psychological state of mind, thus all the ridiculous numbering.

2k for example, would he know the difference between a 024 and a 025? Probably, but the independent Stihl dealer will pick up on his lack of intellect and lead him towards the over priced 361. This is common practice with Stihl, pick out someone like 2k, tell them that it is the greatest saw made and release them back into civilization and have them do all their promoting. Quite ingenious if you think about it.

:clap: :clap: :cheers: :cheers: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

Thanks for pointing out my goof.

The 290/310/390 are 3.8, 4.0 and 4.3HP .....is there really a need for three?

I fixed it in my previous post to show the above......which makes it even more obvious that there isn't much of a need for all three! A half horsepower increase from the 290 to 390 will cost you $ 140.00 at list price.

I do believe that Stihl could get by with a few less models.....but it really doesn't make any difference what I think and Stihl has a marketing plan that seems to work real well for them.

The difference in power between the 170 and 180 is 18% if I did my math correctly. The move up from 230 to 250 is 20% (again if my math is what it should be). It seems to me that there should be some compensation for that.

BTW, at least one other manufacturer offers a similar lineup.

WRW:

My thought is that instead of building both the 170 and 180 - why not just build the 180 and give everyone the 18% power increase? I believe the only difference is the bore/stroke between the 170/180 and the difference in cost to manufacture the two saws should be negligable. This is especially true in the 290/390 model where only the bore is changed and yet the price increase to the consumer is substantial.

Thanks for pointing out my goof.

The 290/310/390 are 3.8, 4.0 and 4.3HP .....is there really a need for three?

I fixed it in my previous post to show the above......which makes it even more obvious that there isn't much of a need for all three! A half horsepower increase from the 290 to 390 will cost you $ 140.00 at list price.

I do believe that Stihl could get by with a few less models.....but it really doesn't make any difference what I think and Stihl has a marketing plan that seems to work real well for them.

Stihl isn't alone doing that - the brands all do to some extent.

WRW:

My thought is that instead of building both the 170 and 180 - why not just build the 180 and give everyone the 18% power increase? I believe the only difference is the bore/stroke between the 170/180 and the difference in cost to manufacture the two saws should be negligable. This is especially true in the 290/390 model where only the bore is changed and yet the price increase to the consumer is substantial.

Yeah, I understand where you're coming from. I think that competition with the other manufacturers drives the need for the extra models.

Far as the difference in cost between the 290/390 go, it could partially be driven by product liability...you know, homeowners with a nearly pro (by legal definition) saw. I'm sure there are other considerations as well.

Well obviously someone didn't study marketing.

Studies show that if a company produces widgets, and they diversify and produce more than one variation of widget it improves their market share even if it costs the company a little more in tooling for the variation.

The answer is simply this. THEY SELL MORE SAWS THIS WAY! No, that doesn't mean you need to buy every model but it gives consumers the feeling that they get to choose.

Now if you understand this principle it may open your eyes to why Chevy trucks look so much like GMC trucks. Why Ford cars resemble Mercury cars. Because we all like to choose and the more choices the more likely we'll buy.

Saw companies need to start making only two saws to choose from. Top handle tree saw and a ground saw. Salesman only has to ask you if your using it in a tree or on the ground problem solved everyone is happy they don't have to choose from all that variety.

Distinguishing pro grade Stihls from trash grade Stihls is easier than any other brand. It's quite simple:
  • orange or white=trash grade
  • all other colors=pro grade

:cheers:

Distinguishing pro grade Stihls from trash grade Stihls is easier than any other brand. It's quite simple:
  • orange or white=trash grade
  • all other colors=pro grade

:cheers:

I think I hear an ambulance.........................................

i think i got it strait, if i need to buy a pro saw stay away from stihl. LOL

just joking as i know they make some fine saws. just to many unless your a collector. on axemen, i see more red and solid orange than white and orannge.

hhmm.:givebeer: :cheers: :dizzy:

Well when you throw all the Husqvarna saws together (Jonsered, Poulan, and the numerous other rebadged saws made by the same mother company), I suspect that number dwarfs the number of models made by Stihl.

Stihl just hasn't had to resort to buying out all the other small manufacturers in order to gain market share.

The Stihl name has a reputation that just flat out sells the competition. Whether you like their saws or not, anyone who says that Stihl doesn't know what they are doing hasn't seen how well they sell on Ebay.

I wouldn't mind trying a few in the Husky line but when I look at their re-sale value it just makes me cringe. I can buy a Stihl try it, if I don't like it, sell it on ebay and recoup almost every penny I spent.

Back