Stil 066 mag carburetor problems

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Defender

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
A couple of weeks ago I picked up a 066 magnum that had been sitting up for 2 to 3 years. The gas in the tank had turned to goo. I cleaned the tank out and cleaned up the outside and throat of the carb with carburator cleaner. Got it to run finaly. Cuts great, but will not idle. Think there must be some goo in the carburator. Does anyone have any ideas on how to clean this out, short of taking the carburator apart???

BTW This is my first post and you guys have a great site here.

Defender

carb

Do yourself a favor and put in a carb kit. Anything else is just prolonging the inevitable. Besides, it may be leaning the fuel and burning the piston. Go for it, YOU CAN DOOO IT!

Too many hours running a bus garage, sorry.:dizzy:

Yeah, a carb kit is like $12 and anyone with a screwdriver can rebuild one. It ain't a Holley. (Not that that's much harder.)

Carbs need rebuilt every so often anyway, even if they haven't been sitting for three years. Simple insurance man. Do yourself a favor.

Jeff

Definitely do the carb, the fuel filter and blow out the fuel line, but not idling is often crank seals... if the carb doesn't fix the problem, you need to do a pressure/vacuum test.

Back