Still ms250 question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

old blue xl 12

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I own a STIHL MS250 I would like to put a longer bar and chain on it any suggestions on what size to put on, already have an old blue xl12 with a 16"bar

Stihl brand mini spline drum and rim for picco chain. It comes as a kit but might as well get a 0.325 7 tooth sprocket at that time. 62 drive links is what I use suppose 61 would fit though have not tried. Stihl "18" inch bar picco or 3/8lp. You asked for a suggestion. I will let you pick the chain.

Obviously, you are looking for more reach. The 025 / MS-250 isn't on my list of best saws, but while there are many detractors on this site, there are also many people that seem satisfied with those saws. Certainly, they are not pro saws. They are rated as class C, homeowner engines, and I have had more than a few of these saws on my work bench. I will park my negative bias right here. With an 18" bar, you can still pull a .325 pitch chain, but it is best served with 16" bar and chain, as others have long stated. If you must experiment, might I suggest visiting Bailey's Outdoor Power Equipment on line, and purchase an 18" WoodlandPro bar and chain combo, with the .050 gauge NK configuration. I have done this myself, and have had gratifying results. This will not cost you an arm and a leg, so if you are dissatisfied, you won't curse me too loudly. The chain quality is excellent for the money. There is usually a $10 off first time buyer offer.

Latest posts

Back