Stillwater Minnesota bans all OWB outright.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Curlycherry1

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
It is sad but a few people that burn junk ruined it for everybody.

Stillwater will prohibit outdoor wood-fired boilers
Pioneer Press

Updated: 02/17/2010 11:35:04 PM CST

Outdoor wood-fired boilers will soon be banned in Stillwater, the Stillwater City Council decided this week.

The council voted Tuesday to have city staff create an ordinance that would prohibit the boilers within city limits, said City Administrator Larry Hansen.

The ordinance would require removal of any boilers currently in use.

What it comes down to is a handfull of busybodies and fruits telling the citizens of stillwater that they won't even miss their OWB, because they can go to hell and be warm there. Ask yourself, people of stillwater. Will busybodies and fruits control your life?

I drive fairly regularly through a area of town that has a few folks using OWB and you would not believe the smoke they are filling the area with. You can smell the stench of wet wood burning about a mile from their houses and when you round the corner it is obvious who is causing the problem. One guy has a heaping pile of pallets, old timbers and junk wood covered with snow and soaking wet. He also has green wood tossed on top for good measure. He is merrily pulling that wood out of the snow and shoving it into his boiler and thus stinking out the neighborhood.

It is clowns like that that need to be dope slapped and shut down. Not the guy about 1/2 mile away with a dry wood pile of seasoned wood and a clean stack coming out of his OWB. The guy burning dry wood you can never even tell if his boiler is going because the stack smoke is so clear.

why? oh why--dont people inudate the city council meetings--and raise h with them??? tell them to shut idiot down---and not to bother the good ones??? people with fireplaces,woodstoves,and owbs need to tear that city council up!!!!

its up to fellow wood burners to police others that burn wood as well. Its a shame that there local government is going to regulate your rights to supply a warm envoirment for your family. In my area that i live i have stopped by and talked to people that have outdoor wood boilers and we have talked at length about this very issue. an example a couple other wood burners went to a person house that had his wood pile uncovered all winter long. His smoke was filling up his neighbors barn all winter long, we talked to this person and the issue was resolved. no smoke form stack, no smoke in barn. Had this been left to the local government we could be looking at the very same issue. So please we need to act together to protect are right to burn wood or loose that right its your choice!

I drive fairly regularly through a area of town that has a few folks using OWB and you would not believe the smoke they are filling the area with. You can smell the stench of wet wood burning about a mile from their houses and when you round the corner it is obvious who is causing the problem. One guy has a heaping pile of pallets, old timbers and junk wood covered with snow and soaking wet. He also has green wood tossed on top for good measure. He is merrily pulling that wood out of the snow and shoving it into his boiler and thus stinking out the neighborhood.

It is clowns like that that need to be dope slapped and shut down. Not the guy about 1/2 mile away with a dry wood pile of seasoned wood and a clean stack coming out of his OWB. The guy burning dry wood you can never even tell if his boiler is going because the stack smoke is so clear.

Blanket party for the doofus.

Stillwater is not a huge city by any means, and the houses are rather close. Morethan likely a boiler doesn't belong in that area to begin with. Princeton has a similar ban headed it's way regarding boiler within city limits. The way the city is setup, they don't belong and I know of only one in the city limits. It is a smoke dragon at a slummy house. The real concern is that if one or two cities successfully ban them, others will follow. Once the boilers are gone, the powers that be will take notice of the chimney smoke, and then the indoor fireplaces, regardless of EPA rating, will become the next target.

Won't they grandfather in people that have them already ??? Are they going to buy the stove back from the people who have them ?? If I lived there I would be getting a good attorney and fight it. What will be next ?? no woodstoves or fireplaces at all ?? then Diesel pick-ups ??? Next it will be the color of your house, car and garage, then clothes line poles in your yard. Then they will want to go into your house !!!!!! No beer, wine, Holy smokes we have a rebel here he has outdoor equipment that has to do with the
2nd ammendment !!!!!! Lets !!! lock up this radical !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry about rambling. Seriously I would get all the wood burners together and fight this thing

Good Luck

Unsure exactly where Stillwater's city limits extend to, but there are some fairly open areas north and west of downtown that a well run boiler would be just fine in.

Idiots should be dealt with, not the tool. Using that thinking, they ought to ban everything.

Stillwater is about as close to a hippie commune as you can get around here, I'm not suprised that a ban came up here. I avoid the town like the plague, take my trips to the cities in from the north end or through Hudson. If they ever get the new bridge built, I'll be a happy guy.

Unsure exactly where Stillwater's city limits extend to, but there are some fairly open areas north and west of downtown that a well run boiler would be just fine in.

Idiots should be dealt with, not the tool. Using that thinking, they ought to ban everything.

Stillwater is about as close to a hippie commune as you can get around here, I'm not suprised that a ban came up here. I avoid the town like the plague, take my trips to the cities in from the north end or through Hudson. If they ever get the new bridge built, I'll be a happy guy.

Hey careful there Steve! Some of us have to use their zip code and post office cause our town/ former township doesn't have one.

No Hippie here, now excuse me I've got some more tires to throw on the fire out back. :chainsawguy:

Sorry Ripper, I was specifically referring to the coffee shop, arts and crafts, antique shop, organic vegetarian crowd downtown. You, unfortunately, know exactly who I mean!

I feel your pain!

Once the boilers are gone, the powers that be will take notice of the chimney smoke, and then the indoor fireplaces, regardless of EPA rating, will become the next target.

Have seen more than a few woodstoves that smoke more than my OWB arounf here.

Won't they grandfather in people that have them already ??? Are they going to buy the stove back from the people who have them ?? If I lived there I would be getting a good attorney and fight it. What will be next ?? no woodstoves or fireplaces at all ?? then Diesel pick-ups ??? Next it will be the color of your house, car and garage, then clothes line poles in your yard. Then they will want to go into your house !!!!!! No beer, wine, Holy smokes we have a rebel here he has outdoor equipment that has to do with the
2nd ammendment !!!!!! Lets !!! lock up this radical !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry about rambling. Seriously I would get all the wood burners together and fight this thing

Good Luck

Amen, brother.

I have asked all of my neighbors if they smelll my OWB or notice smoke and have always been told "no." If my township made an issue of it, I'd raise Cain!!! The alternatives are LP (too expensive) or geothermal (too long to achieve economy vs OWB).

Sorry Ripper, I was specifically referring to the coffee shop, arts and crafts, antique shop, organic vegetarian crowd downtown. You, unfortunately, know exactly who I mean!

I feel your pain!
:cheers: LOL, I was trying to figure out a nice way to say the same thing! That has always been my impression of the place driving through. Often when driving north on fishing trips it is an impossible traffic jam trying to get through there with the art fairs or whatnot going on.
I often try to avoid that route for that reason.

"The racial makeup of the city was 97.52% White, 0.32% African American, 0.28% Native American, 0.57% Asian, 0.02% Pacific Islander, 0.36% from other races, and 0.93% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.98% of the population."

OMG how white can you get? Even here in Northern Michigan there is at least a little diversity. :jawdrop:

"The racial makeup of the city was 97.52% White, 0.32% African American, 0.28% Native American, 0.57% Asian, 0.02% Pacific Islander, 0.36% from other races, and 0.93% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.98% of the population."

OMG how white can you get? Even here in Northern Michigan there is at least a little diversity. :jawdrop:

That make up is not alarming if you live in midwest farm country. It probably is more like 99% white with a sprinkling of other races where I live. Diversity of people doesn't make a place to live better then the another. It is the quality of the people there that make the difference.

Brian

That make up is not alarming if you live in midwest farm country. It probably is more like 99% white with a sprinkling of other races where I live. Diversity of people doesn't make a place to live better then the another. It is the quality of the people there that make the difference.

Brian

I agree, i just checked my county's last census stats...98.8% white. Thats probably down from 99.9 from when i was born...just the way it is here. Im not saying that aspect is bad or good...but i love living in the country. But glad i went to college in a big city to experience it and not be a total country bumpkin all my life.

Maybe they should bring back the "Intensifier" and require all 'smokin joes' to have one on their OWB stacks to burn up the smoke! Except of course, that they'd find a way to screw that up too...

12113044.jpg

TS

Only if you count the migrants during harvest season. They go home when they are done!

Now if we can count anyone with name ending in "Ski", OK you have ethnic diversity.

Latest posts

Back