Stolen truck and gear.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally posted by MidwestTree
They wanted the job done within a day so the roof could be covered due to heavy rains coming in. Got the job done in time but then they would not cut the check.

That is where you need a contract clearly stating "Payment due on completion" with a signature.

One rule of thumb is to try to allways play with the property owner, not the insurance company. Though i know that is not allways possible.

The guy that is the contractor on this job is a close friend of mine and a master at getting everything he can out of an insurance company. One of his best deals was a fire claim where another friend of ours had alittle over a hundred thousand in replacement insurance on house, after Roger got done he had the insurance company putting 160,000 into a new house.

Number one lesson is to cut the home owner out of negotations. They don't understand the work or the numbers involved. Once you are face to face with the insurance man you can get the job because they want the problem to go away. If the homeowner does the leg work then he will get multiple bids, shopping for the best price (no negotation).

The "payment due upon completion" works with home owners but large companies can set there own time frames. Unless there is major $$ backing, a small company has little chance in the courts because they can stretch the process out making it even longer before you recieve payment.

Speaking of dissappearances...

A few years back, I saw a copy of an estimate from what I recall being called something similar to Portland Pacific Tree Service (licensed, bonded, insured).

I helped the homeowner call in a license verification. That company was not licensed, bonded or insured according to the licensing board.

And I found out more that week from 2 other tree services, and the large arborist equipment supplier out here....

Let me put it this way, I think the owner may be named something that sounds like John Fuoco. If you meet a person like that, in Oregon or out, you may ask him he was aware that machinery was taken from Tree Tools in Oregon, or that some saws may have dissappeared from a tree service near Portland.

Last I heard, the Oregon Construction Contractors Board, would love to contact this individual for some "financial contributions".
that they can get some "contributions" from him.

For a moment, I thought my memory may be a teen bit hazy, but I just found the following in the middle of writing this:

http://ccbed.ccb.state.or.us/New_Web/asp/new_search_results.asp?regno=118677

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back