Stopping overfired stove

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will try flour outside on a wood fire and see what it does. I will post the results.

Flour can E X P L O D E.

Please note the video in post #14, which mimics what happens in grain elevator explosions - a Farm Girl like you should know about those. They are set off by just a spark, or an overheated bearing.

Not to disrespect your mom, but there are a lot of old time / folk remedies / common wisdom things that, while well intentioned, were just plain wrong.

For example, (most of the people on this site) now know that the world is not flat and that the Earth revolves around the Sun. Sometimes, people get lucky when doing something they shouldn't, or get away with something, but it is not the thing to encourage others to do.

Baking soda is different, and can work on cooking and grease fires, etc.

Philbert

Water, it works, not a garden hose just a small spray bottle to cool down the fire. If you are talking about a out of control fire endangering your house burning down get the fricking garden hose who cares if you crack some fire bricks, and while your at it have someone call the fire department.

Flour can E X P L O D E.

Please note the video in post #14, which mimics what happens in grain elevator explosions - a Farm Girl like you should know about those. They are set off by just a spark, or an overheated bearing.

Not to disrespect your mom, but there are a lot of old time / folk remedies / common wisdom things that, while well intentioned, were just plain wrong.

For example, (most of the people on this site) now know that the world is not flat and that the Earth revolves around the Sun. Sometimes, people get lucky when doing something they shouldn't, or get away with something, but it is not the thing to encourage others to do.

Baking soda is different, and can work on cooking and grease fires, etc.

Philbert

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/szoju3DQ14Q&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/szoju3DQ14Q&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

flour = bad idea

What wrong with just using the Ash that you take out, leave a little bit in the ash bucket near the stove so you can shovel some back in when a fire starts to run away from you. I have used a water spray bottle also when I got a little concerned but found throwing some ash on it works faster.

Keep a log soaking

Old timer around here used to keep a fiver with a few nice sized pieces soaking all the time.. fire got to hot he would just toss one in.

Yeah five gallon bucket= a fiver.

Thanks. Duh. A '5-er'.

I was thinking that that this was some old time, country term for a small, wooden trough or something. A 'fiv-er' (sounds like 'liver')?

"Jed - take the fiver out back to the crick and flush it out along with the sieve and butter churn!"

(Philbert)

Interesting thing about flour that it can explode. Too much surface area combined with spark can make for an intersting day. Put the same flour in a bag and drop it in, and it can snuff out a fire by limiting the amount of oxygen available for consumption. It can make a fire smolder due to a lack of O2. No dust = no explosion.

Should flour be used? In general, no, and not to stop a hot stove. Can it help to control a small fire: Yes, within reason and under the right circumstances.

Years ago when I was a little boy, we took the varnish off our floors. Dad had asked me to empty the bag from the floor sander so I poured the sanding dust in to the burning barrel. The barrel still had a few hot coals in it. Needless to say, I was one lucky little boy back then. Never put any type of dust or flour on an open fire

I did a search with ask.com on how to put out a chimney fire / wood stove. A few of you have the right ideas… If you have time, read these links..

http://www.ask.com/bar?q=How+Do+You....firehouse.com/archive/index.php/t-20723.html

Plan A : I just close off the air and it dies down pretty quick.

Plan B: Bucket of ash. I've never had to use it and It would probably make a heck of a mess but that's what dad always kept near by.

Plan C: Fire Extinguisher.

If my stove was damaged and didn't seal up right then I would not burn it in my house until it was repaired.

I agree w/ plan A..Limit the oxygen. Over fire is one thing chimney fire is totally different. By the way, if anyone is thinking of pouring water into / onto a screaming hot coal filled wood stove, hope you have your insulated suit on...because steam burns and scalds like hell... and flour is a no no can flash and it will burn. Unless you're a baker and you have a 50 lb. bag on hand....

During my first winter of heating with wood last year in what was a home made furnace by the PO, there was a steep learning curve. Not air tight and going into too large of a chimney. I found when things got beyond my comfort level (700 stove front) a nice big chunk of oak really cooled it down pretty quick. Toss it in and close off the air as well as you can and open the flue damper wide.

After 4 days with my new ( used) Hotblast I'm finding I have to learn all over again :popcorn:

I also was afraid to just spray or throw water on the fire. I thought that if it wasn't perfectly aimed it could crack the firebrick or even warp the metal, but for a really out-of-control fire, that wouldn't be as bad as burning down the house.
I wanted a kinder, gentler way of introducing water into the fire. What I finally did was keep a bucket of water with newspapers soaking in it near the stove. Newsprint will soak up more water than wood and the newspapers will usually unroll at least partly to blanket the fire.
When the fire got too hot (when the insulated chimney got too hot to touch) I'd throw a few in and that would slow down the fire.
Salt isn't really a good idea. Sure, in an emergency, throw in anything non-combustible that's handy. But salt is highly corrosive (look at what it does to your car) Not good for a metal stove.
Now I have an OWB and don't use the stove in the house any more.

Back