Stopping Rust

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sharkfin12us

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have a question about parking on grass or gravel driveways.I park my trucks at my house one is parked on gravel and other parked in my back yard.One truck i dont use at moment needs dt 466 rebuilt and i dont have 7000 or 8000 to have it done at moment.I was wondering if any one knows what i can put under that truck to protect it from moisture like sheets of plywood or maybe a tarp keep moisture off my truck any ideas will be appreciated thank you

We've got our share of con artists over here, that was one.

I use fish oil, but rust isn't a big problem, I'd go with POR 15 by the sound of it. :cheers:

Thanks for the heads up, I saw mention of that on the Pirate4x4 Forum (around 2006).Sounded somewhat reasonable.

I plan on getting a new galvanized frame for my Land Rover. I don't know how true it is but I have heard that Land Rovers are more perceptible to rust than other 4x4s , my Defender bears that out but....... it did live in a coastal region for most of its life.

Thanks for the heads up, I saw mention of that on the Pirate4x4 Forum (around 2006).Sounded somewhat reasonable.

I plan on getting a new galvanized frame for my Land Rover. I don't know how true it is but I have heard that Land Rovers are more perceptible to rust than other 4x4s , my Defender bears that out but....... it did live in a coastal region for most of its life.

I had an Isuzu Trooper II. The engine and drive train were rock solid. The body and frame were biodegradable. I had to sell it after the rear spring mount punched through the frame.

I'm with you guys on the POR-15. One option also that is basically the same stuff is called Chassis saver. It is less expensive and works just as well. I just built a trailer and coated the whole bottom with that stuff. I got it at an Auto Value store. it is unbelievably durable. The only down side is that it isn't UV protected so it will fade in direct sunlight but under a truck it doesn't matter (I believe POR 15 is the same way). I would also stay far, far away from the so called "rust converters." I have tried them and they don't work. The chassis saver was about 25 bucks cheaper a gallon than POR 15.

yes por 15 is a little costly. but i have two classic cars that im gonna restore but dont have the time. i por 15nd them and theyve been sittin outside in the elements for over two yrs. yes its faded but absolutely no rust.
great stuff worth every penny. my work trucks frame is coated with it as well. mud and whatever else just rinses off of it

To answer your original question: anything that will stop moisture from coming up from the ground. Plywood won't do that. Best bet is to make sure that the parking spot has a slope for drainage and to cover the ground there with a strong tarp. If moisture/water is allowed to sit on the tarp it defeats the purpose, make sure there is no standing water on it and enough air flow across it to move any moisture (dew, etc) out. Do your best to shield the tires and any other rubber from the sun, the U.V. rays degrade it.

Back