Storing campfire wood bundles

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Polish hammer

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have a hand wrapper and have Been thinking of getting ahead of the camping season and start wrapping bundles.. could I wrap bundles now with shrink wrap and keep under a roof but outside(wood shed). Will the wrap hold up or get brittle by the time I’d put them out to sell?

I found that if I wrapped more than a month ahead the pieces would shrink enough that the packages became somewhat loose. Even after sitting for 6-8 months getting M.C. content down to 25-27% range the bundles seem to dry out just enough more to get them loose. Just experiment, everyone has different issues.

I'm thinking about doing the same thing. I was thinking about bailing twine for bundling and still give good air flow but I do see the shrinkage issue and the bundles loosening up. Where is a good place to get bags to make it reasonable?

I use these plastic weaved bags. They are not UV protected but will last over a year if kept out of the sunlight. I can throw them around all day and they don't break. The down side is there not see through. They measure 22''x36'' about the size of a feed bag. They will hold 40 to 50 lb's of wood. I get them in bundles of 1000 at a time.

9qw969.jpg

I use these plastic weaved bags. They are not UV protected but will last over a year if kept out of the sunlight. I can throw them around all day and they don't break. The down side is there not see through. They measure 22''x36'' about the size of a feed bag. They will hold 40 to 50 lb's of wood. I get them in bundles of 1000 at a time.

9qw969.jpg
Do you put your wood in them to dry or is it already seasoned before you bag it?

I'm thinking about doing the same thing. I was thinking about bailing twine for bundling and still give good air flow but I do see the shrinkage issue and the bundles loosening up. Where is a good place to get bags to make it reasonable?

The last time I looked on the internet for the bags I use they ran about 0.66 per bag if bought in 1000 count bundles.
I found a guy and through years of buying from him I get them for 0.20 each or $200. per 1000 cash under the table.

The last time I looked on the internet for the bags I use they ran about 0.66 per bag if bought in 1000 count bundles.
I found a guy and through years of buying from him I get them for 0.20 each or $200. per 1000 cash under the table.
Yeah I have a few guys in the fruit business that I know and am gonna check with on bags.

Try your local agri supplies for what we know as onion sacks there appears 3 sizes a textile mesh with holes the size of 1/2' chicken wire with a drawstring top we also use them for limited sales of kindling using the smallest size it works out at 10 kilos of kindling I found wrapping or putting in plastic bags caused the wood to "sweat " & the plastic didn't allow the wood to dry out

I have found 3-4months under cover is about as far out as I like to store them. I have had some stored longer, but as noted the stretch wrap becomes loose and then the damn mice will start to make homes in them.

Not much fun when you are delivering to a store and mice start bailing out the trailer!

I wrap them with fresh cut wood. Wrap it tight and it's fine even after its dry.

I had hoped to stockpile over the winter, but I sell too many to really keep up.

The wrap is way cheaper than bags 7 less you are reusing them several times.

I get about 150-160 bundles out of a $12 roll of wrap.

SB 147 do you ever have nice in your bags?? I’ve been using shrink wrap off amazon buy in bulk comes out to less then $5

We don't have nice. lol
But no not as far as I know. I don't see any holes in the bags where they would get in.
I don't bag more then a few hundred at a time. I do keep bags and wood ready to re stock when I get low.

40807_6c5e1cb5-6b76-473b-b6f5-dafe6b0551e5_1024x1024.jpg

View attachment 632535

I use the produce bags - about $.33 each. holds about 1 cu. ft.

Somebody here on AS tipped me off to this seller.
https://www.harrisseeds.com/product...ons-corn-potatoes-18-x-32?variant=28921293073
We use similar bags think they come out at around 30 euro cents each if bought 100 bundles we just add 50 cents to the bag/wood price we reduce the next bag price if they return the bag with no holes surprising how many do one guy saves them up & returns the at the end of stove lighting around the 20 mark

Back