Storing lumber in cants

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carhartt

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have about 25 white pine logs laying on the ground beside the mill. I am not sure what kind of material I want out of them yet. I do want to make some board and baton out of some. Does anyone mill into cants just to stack and store and mill later when I you know the dimensions of material that you want? That way I can stack them and get them off the ground. I bet there is 5 hemlocks in there also and they don't last long on the ground.
I have Woodmizer LT15 band mill not a chainsaw mill. I was planning to saw 3 sides and sticker the cants.

It works just fine, in fact it's a LOT better way to store than leaving them in log form.

Just treat them as lumber, keeping them up off the ground, sticker them (I use 2x4's) and make sure they stay dry...

SR

I like to stretch the extra material out of the log or may consider a project with a live edge. My only reason for keeping the 4th edge.

There isn't any bark on the logs anymore. Just that nice smooth white/grey edge that pine gets. Ive made a cpl live edge mantles in the past from pine. It has a nice rustic cabin look and it isn't terribly heavy to hang.

I like to quarter them and stand them up some place dry. All my logs are beachcombed so the bark is all gone already

My concern would be cracking if they get too dry, especially the ends. Could be an issue with softwood.

You won't get many end checks in white pine, it just doesn't. You will however get some in the cant because it has the heart in it. As it dries, one face will check more than the others.

I have about 25 white pine logs laying on the ground beside the mill. I am not sure what kind of material I want out of them yet. I do want to make some board and baton out of some. Does anyone mill into cants just to stack and store and mill later when I you know the dimensions of material that you want? That way I can stack them and get them off the ground. I bet there is 5 hemlocks in there also and they don't last long on the ground.
I have Woodmizer LT15 band mill not a chainsaw mill. I was planning to saw 3 sides and sticker the cants.

How old are these logs to have the bark falling off?

We always milled pine in the winter, if you let it sit in warm weather it will get blue stain

This spring they will be a yr old. I notice a bit of worm/grub activity. I am hoping it just adds carachter to the boards. I am planning to make board and baton siding with some of them. Not sure about the rest yet. Reason for storing the cants.

Back