Storing/stacking Euro sized wood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't have the capacity to move something like that. A 275g tote frame filled level with freshly split wood is all my tractor wants.

These...

f9c54fdecffc0bd0a51572aa955e2e0f.jpg

Are 3' diameter x 3' high sitting on a 42" x 48" pallet. Filled with green wood is also all my tractor wants. Seasoned its not an issue.

EDIT: 3.5' diameter x 3' high.
Why don't you just do the same thing as in that pic? Get some welded wire fabric used in concrete and make a cylinder with it then toss the chunks in?
You will be mentally ill from trying to stack those short pieces. I think you would be mentally ill for trying to stack those size pieces.

Why don't you just do the same thing as in that pic? Get some welded wire fabric used in concrete and make a cylinder with it then toss the chunks in?

I think I'm going to do that but on a larger scale where the "bin" wont be mobile.

Last night I had come to the determination that I was going to start using the pallet/basket system again... But I REALLY don't want to. Its handy, but takes up to much space for the amount of wood stored. Lots of wasted air space. If I could make the baskets fit the pallets without a lot of extra work, then it would make more sense. Who knows.... Now that I sit here and have typed it out... A few 2x4's and some fence staples.....

I'd staple the mesh around the bottom of the pallet. Might not need any 2x4's. They'll likely be round at the top... IDK, maybe you can stack a pallet on top of a filled pallet and double your storage.

Round at the top is what I want to avoid. They'd take up even more space that way.

sent from a field
Im not sure how. You don't necessarly have to keep it square. Cut a length long enough to go around the base of the pallet and you will have the same area at the top regardless if its square or circle... I wouldn't waste my effort or material trying to keep it square.

What about stacking 2 rows of regular firewood a couple feet apart so you can drive between them and throwing the little pieces in between the rows.
When you burn it just work you way down the rows mixing long and short or cleaning out the small stuff first. Whatever works better.
Chad

When I said two rows of pallets and loose thrown in-between I meant the full pallets you already have as a barrier wall. Not sure that's how it came across.
Yep, that's how I took it. Right now I keep 30" between pallet rows so the push mower can keep the grass down. I could fill that space but the bottom would be on the ground and I wouldn't be able to consistently cycle through through seasoned wood.

sent from a field

Ive been wanting to build a fence around the north and east sides of our property with stacks, which is what Ive been doing. I think what I'm going to do is dedicate a section to be "bins" for the oddballs. I can start it right down by where all the wood is stacked, too. Means I wont tear up the yard as much.

How about putting the stacks one pallet length apart throw down another pallet and stack the shorts on that.
Chad

I want the airflow. Thats a great idea, but it would cut down on airflow to the middle of the stack. Probably not enough to justify not doing it, but I want to stay consistent with what Ive already started.

Quick and dirty with what I had on hand.
48bb014ac27f7d2910e6c39c582c6f9e.jpg

I'll probably go with shorter T posts rather than taller fence.

sent from a field
That was where my mind was headed.

I've gotta ask, how the hell do you have so many goober cunks? I can cut a 12 cord of wood and get a a pile that will fit on two pallets or less.

I've gotta ask, how the hell do you have so many goober cunks? I can cut a 12 cord of wood and get a a pile that will fit on two pallets or less.

This is all line clearing wood coming out of East Lansing. A Friend of mine sent out an email to all the residents in his and an adjacent neighborhood asking if those folks that don't want the wood would be willing to allow he and I access to their yards to remove it. The majority of the trees are old wood, figure 100+ years so they are mature. The company, I'm sure, is contracted to cut the wood up into "manageable" pieces for the homeowners.

Some pieces are a full 3' across and only 3" thick. While others are complete cubes noodled out of a round almost to heavy to pick up.

Normally, I prefer to cut my logs at 13'4" which nets out an even number of 20" chunks and fits in my dump trailer. Imagine how frustrating it is to have OCD and NOT be able to have everything 20" long? But I just cant pass this stuff up. Ive hauled a half load of silver maple home, aside from that, 8 loads of oak, locust, elm, some other semi hard maple..... And lots more to come. The company will be clearing lines all winter long.

abd6836956da1d3fab619a488ad5e47c.jpg
311c186c950fd07032be8b7e75b03cee.jpg
bac4b73dba256c8af2558f4b743cdecd.jpg

Latest posts

Back