Storing stuff

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bump_r

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Since my newfound liking for hand-filing, I found Ineeded a good way to store/protect my files when they are in my work box. My old metal shop teacher drilled it in to us young-uns (when we were young-uns) that nothing killed a file quicker than back-draggin it on your work or letting it bang against another file when stored. To that end, I needed a place not only for my "files-held-on-a-plate-so-I-don't-screw-the-chains-up" thingies as well as my spare round files and raker files. Bear in mind that I have files and guides for 3/8 picco micro narrow on my MS170, .325 for my mighty Farm Boss, AND for my 3/8 on my MS460. For any other 3/8 stuff, I'll likely just use what Stihl says, rather than having two "3/8 chain" systems in use at the same time. Anyway, I had a vacation day on a day that the wife did not, so that led me to a whole new array of materials and equipment at my disposal. In the attached pic, you can see my handiwork with a Food Saver plastic film sealer-upper. For the files and guides as well as raker files, I have a three-sided pouch I can slide the business ends into leaving the handles out. For my spare round files, I fed the pouch in again and again to attain a series of narrow 1/4-inchish slots I can store a bunch of files in. An unanticipated side benefit to this is that sealing the same side over and over produces kind of a tool-roll effect so it rubber-bands in a tight roll quite nicely.

Witht he clear film - which appears to be quite tough - I can see what's what without having to pull each one out for a better look-see.

On the top right, you can see an earlier use of the Food Saver where I vacuum-packed spare spark plugs (not that I should ever need 'em, but if I do, I want dry ones! Oh, they're Champions, too - they're on the way out.)
On the bottom left, you can see Sean's plastic lizard. He's next. The lizard, not Sean.

do you know or have seen any nice looking storage case for files? i to have a rather large collection and would love to put them in something other than a plasric container, may be overkill but makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside knowing there ok at nite

A plastic rubber worm box from wally world for a few bucks works great.
Wife got it for me since she didn't think rubbers that I rolled down over them looked quite right in my tool box.

bump_r said:
Since my newfound liking for hand-filing, I found Ineeded a good way to store/protect my files when they are in my work box. My old metal shop teacher drilled it in to us young-uns (when we were young-uns) that nothing killed a file quicker than back-draggin it on your work or letting it bang against another file when stored. To that end, I needed a place not only for my "files-held-on-a-plate-so-I-don't-screw-the-chains-up" thingies as well as my spare round files and raker files. Bear in mind that I have files and guides for 3/8 picco micro narrow on my MS170, .325 for my mighty Farm Boss, AND for my 3/8 on my MS460. For any other 3/8 stuff, I'll likely just use what Stihl says, rather than having two "3/8 chain" systems in use at the same time. Anyway, I had a vacation day on a day that the wife did not, so that led me to a whole new array of materials and equipment at my disposal. In the attached pic, you can see my handiwork with a Food Saver plastic film sealer-upper. For the files and guides as well as raker files, I have a three-sided pouch I can slide the business ends into leaving the handles out. For my spare round files, I fed the pouch in again and again to attain a series of narrow 1/4-inchish slots I can store a bunch of files in. An unanticipated side benefit to this is that sealing the same side over and over produces kind of a tool-roll effect so it rubber-bands in a tight roll quite nicely.

Witht he clear film - which appears to be quite tough - I can see what's what without having to pull each one out for a better look-see.

On the top right, you can see an earlier use of the Food Saver where I vacuum-packed spare spark plugs (not that I should ever need 'em, but if I do, I want dry ones! Oh, they're Champions, too - they're on the way out.)
On the bottom left, you can see Sean's plastic lizard. He's next. The lizard, not Sean.

Right on, Bump_r! Looks like a great way to keep them in good shape. I am still not a hand filer, but I see how nice the plugs will keep in those foodsavers.

Welcome to the miracle of FoodSaver. I use my wife's for all kinds of stuff, resulting in some rather puzzled looks from her sometimes.

Want to REALLY seal that brick of 22 ammo so it won't get wet in the canoe? FoodSave it. Have a pistol you don't use often that you want rust-free forever? Clean it well and FoodSave it.

btw, you can fold over the 'tops' of your file holders before running them through the sealer so that you have two layers of material up at the top where all the wear will take place. Helps.

ah! another great use for the food saver

being a mechanic I use mine for all sorts of storage bags especialy after they have been used for food a few times but dont want to waste the bags, did a bunch of the new quarters once , 223 reloads, spair saw chain . it's just endless.

We are Old Yankees I guess

I do the same thing how does that saying go? Use it up.....wear it out....(I don't remember the next line)

The last line is "or do without"

Yah.....that's it

My ex wife always said I was stingy I prefer the term thrifty
:hmm3grin2orange:

Thanks Bremen

Last edited:
Another take on the same idea

I used the food saver to section off a large zip lock bag. I've got each slot labeled with the file size. It doesn't keep the same size files from touching each other but it does keep them sorted by size and is resealable. Folds up and fits in my little tool box I keep my chain saw stuff in.

That is a cute lil' man bag you got there Bob, Should go nice in your man purse too... :ices_rofl: :laugh: :laugh:

Seriously though, looks like a great idea. I guess I am behind on times as I don't have a foodsaver thingymabob.

I don't have many files but store those I do have slipped into soda straws with a strip of masking tape wrapped around the end of the file and the straw. I suppose a rubber band around the straw would keep it together, too......

Rubber tubing

In another thread a dude said that he uses those flimsy rubber surgical tubes to store his and it works great. I buy the Stihl 3 packs, they come in a plastic holder that seperates them and keeps'em dry. Holds 3 files. 3 files in the little plastic thingy costs like $5. Me thinks the straws area great idea...

Back