storm chasers?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

65x55BPD

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
does anybody here deal with storm/wind damaged trees regularly? I'm on an emergency response team based in st. louis and went to a couple tornados last week. when i was there i saw all sorts of homeowners with wildthings up on ladders and climbing in trees. its the same thing on every storm. I was just wondering who i could talk to on this site about storm tree cutting.

Clearance wuld be a good one to start with. He does a lot of windrowing and snag removals. If you can ever catch Gypo logger he has done some of this as well. There are many others on here that I am not thinking of that would be great a s well, just those two come to mind. Good luck, and be very carefull, those snags will kill you fast!!!
Andy

look in the logging forum it's been some threads about it there ,,,

All my cutting in the woods for firewood is generally wind related. Was cutting some big red oak with an 038AV yesterday, in which half the tree broke off, at a burl. Cut the rest off, cut it all up. Then started on a really bad looking snag in which one big oak fell, hit another oak and broke in half, and that oak took out another big oak. One big one was hung up in another tree, with fallen oaks holding it at the base. I'm going to wait for that one to come down on its own. I did cut a lot of wood on branches from trees that got taken out by the big one.

Better to have at least one person to help you. [I admit I didn't always follow this advice.] This can make things not only go faster but also save your hind end.

Don't climb up on trunks, etc., that are balanced so that when you cut off part, the remaining part teeter/totters up or down and takes you along, saw running. [See above about taking advice.]

Spend some good long time looking over each area/section you are about to attack. Then take some more time. [This advice I did follow after about one time, lived through that one and figured this out.]

Well-meaning and/or nosey onlookers, property owners, etc., who want to "help" you by standing around too near and pulling on stuff you've just cut that instant or whatever must be thanked but moved away. Preferably to another town. It's your leg at stake.

I don't do it anymore. Somehow made it thru those times I did and someone else can do it.

Good luck.

Well-meaning and/or nosey onlookers, property owners, etc., who want to "help" you by standing around too near and pulling on stuff you've just cut that instant or whatever must be thanked but moved away. Preferably to another town. It's your leg at stake.

you hit the nail on the head with that one. right after a storm everybody and their brother is out there trying to do whatever they can. it is hard sometimes to go onto somebody else's property and tell them what they can and cannot do. for safety's sake its got to be done

Do not ask Gypo Logger for any help, as he is a "persona non grata" here
in the states, after that mishap at the San Francisco "Man/Boy" float
in the gay pride parade.

For those that are interested, John did come out on top............

Back