Storm Cleanup

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OLD OAK

TREE KILLER
Reaction score
Was wondering how others deal with payment when doing storm cleanup when the customers Insurance company is involved. What i have been doing is having a contract between us and the customer and the customer pays the bill when we are done and then the insurance co can reimburse the customer. We do give a estimate to the customer and they do summit it to their insurance for approval . Once approved we do the work but the customer pays us when done. Keeps us from getting in between customer and their insurance. Now we don't do much storm work, if they call we come but don't chase anything. Other tree company advertises -We work with your insurance so you don't have to- Was wondering how you all deal with this.

Depends on the customer. Some I tell to pay me then insurance will reimburse. Some I do now they pay me when the insurance comes.

If it's on the house, jackpot! Insurance IS going to pay, so just let me do it and I'll give you the bill to give to the adjuster.

What I hate is when some wind water fire repair guy gets there first then trois to get in the middle of the money!
Then you may never get paid. Waiting on one of those right now.

They pay me , I don't deal with insurance companies if I'm gonna work for free I can do it from my couch at home , besides I didn't hire there insurance company they did so they an deal with them

Alot of guys also give "deductible discounts" too, or "we pay your deductible" type things **wink*wink***

"... You got a $1000 deductible? Heres a bill for $3500, with your deductible discount you only pay me $2500....".
Alot more customers ask for it too recently

They pay me , I don't deal with insurance companies if I'm gonna work for free I can do it from my couch at home , besides I didn't hire there insurance company they did so they an deal with them
Thats what i was thinking, i don't want to end up working for free.

Yea and you will insurance companies forget you after all the dust settles real quick , I don't leave without at least man and material check

Depends on the customer. Some I tell to pay me then insurance will reimburse. Some I do now they pay me when the insurance comes.

If it's on the house, jackpot! Insurance IS going to pay, so just let me do it and I'll give you the bill to give to the adjuster.

What I hate is when some wind water fire repair guy gets there first then trois to get in the middle of the money!
Then you may never get paid. Waiting on one of those right now.
Was approached by a water,fire repair guy i know last year about removing trees from homes if -HE- got the job. Never did get back with him on it, seamed like it would be HIS job and i would be working for him with little $$

I always deal with the HO. I took half a tree off a house a few weeks ago and told him I would remove the rest of the tree when I get back from vacation. I went over this morning and did it and he wouldnt answer the phone or the door. When I took it off the house I told him he could pay me when he gets the check and I get back. When I got there this morning the fedex guy was dropping off a box and after I went and dumped my dump trailer four blocks away and came back the box was gone. I have a feeling he got the check and blew it.

Was approached by a water,fire repair guy i know last year about removing trees from homes if -HE- got the job. Never did get back with him on it, seamed like it would be HIS job and i would be working for him with little $$
I sub'ed for a landscaper last week. Was good money and no hassle. I showed up sawed all the wood and chipped the brush. His laborers took care of loading and hauling the wood off and did the final raking. Because he had some established customers in the area I was in there and working just hours after the storm hit. I was the first tree guy in and working so it lead to quite a few more estimates. Sometimes teaming up with guys works to a real advantage. Just like giving an estimate I name my price and stick to it. Treeclimber hit the nail on the head, at that point they need you more than you need them!image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 16
Around here, the insurance companies only work with the restoration companies. We sub to the restoration companies. Don't have to worry about getting paid, the restoration companies are bigger than we are.

I always deal with the HO. I took half a tree off a house a few weeks ago and told him I would remove the rest of the tree when I get back from vacation. I went over this morning and did it and he wouldnt answer the phone or the door. When I took it off the house I told him he could pay me when he gets the check and I get back. When I got there this morning the fedex guy was dropping off a box and after I went and dumped my dump trailer four blocks away and came back the box was gone. I have a feeling he got the check and blew it.

This happens a lot. They're all yes's on the work since they're not paying for it. Then they blow their check and start not picking on what they are paying for or just don't return calls.

I'd much rather deal directly with the insurance company--call them up, make them the client. They got a lot more money than homeowners.

A lot of storm damage can be appraised so the client gets $ for lost tree value PLUS expenses. This can be a lucrative sideline.

This happens a lot. They're all yes's on the work since they're not paying for it. Then they blow their check and start not picking on what they are paying for or just don't return calls.
I tried again today no answer
I tried again today and no answer. I have never been screwed out of money on a job and not starting now.

HO pays me. They can take it up with ins company themselves. I got bam bozzeled by an agent ONCE. That wont happen again. Oddly enough the adjuster ened up being the nice guy in this case and cut me a check pretty quick. But I thought for sure I was gonna get screwed for about two weeks.

Latest posts

Back