Stove pipe location Question.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loadthestove

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I am in the process of relocating my wood furnace into my two car garage.basically the garage is just used as an entrance to the house and as a very large mud room with a "pool table" if wifey lets the boys have one.Anyway I am going to have a new masonary chimney built .
My question,can I have the pipe coming out of the back of the furnace go straight into the chimney or will i need to come out of furnace turn up a couple of feet and turn back into chimney.

The standard in this area is out of device turn 90 ,go up a couple of feet then turn 90 again into chimney.I would think the fewer turns in the air flow the better.

The only problem I see doing with the straight out approach would be if I ever replace the furnace I would have to get one with nearly identical pipe height.

What do you all recommend?

1st off the less 90's the better and the less horizontal length the better.
Your only real issue is the thimble height. If it is too low you could have issues with the "next "furnace.
The best install would be for the pipe to hook to the furnace collar and then make a 90 all the way up,but that could only be done with metal pipe. Building a masonry flue would mean that you will have 2 90's only you block the furnace up so that the pipe can exit the furnace and make a straight shot over to the thimble but you'd still need a slope of at least 1" rise for every linear foot of travel as per code.
Of course they do also make adjustable 90's or 30 degree fixed or 15 degree fixed angled pipe for doing offsets.

I would put the 90's in for just the reason you mentioned... This should also make for easier dis-assembly when cleaning. Leave yourself some room behind the furnace if possible.

Might want to check beforehand if there are code-compliance issues with a furnace in a garage. Adequate ventilation (combustion airflow) might be a problem too. Regardless of enforcement, this sort of stuff is important for the safety of you and yours.

Better to hassle through things on paper, first, anyhow. :clapn:

From what I understand is that the garage is not a garage or used to store paint cans or other flammable liquids and that the car is not parked in there where fumes could make there way into the home via the ducting.
Of course just getting the furnace up in the air where the bottom of the door is 16" from the floor may also make it approvable without any other consideration...all depending on what the local code says or what the insurance co. says is ok.

NFPA 211 2010 edition section 12.2.4:
Solid fuel burning appliances shall not be installed in any garage.

That's incorporated by reference into the CT building code; your state / local mileage may vary. (Actually CT uses an older edition then the one I copied that from, but I'm pretty sure it's in the older edition too.)

My guess is if it has a garage door and you can drive a car into it, the building official will consider a duck a duck no matter the current usage. While you may have a pool table there, it doesn't guarantee the next owner won't park a car, lawn mower, and gas jugs where your pool table is changing it's use from a mud room back to a garage.

Last edited:
If the furnace was installed in the corner and 2 walls were erected around it ...it would not actually be in the garage.
This is really an insurance question and if they approve it then I'd say your good to go.
It's not like you have to pull a permit.

From what I understand is that the garage is not a garage or used to store paint cans or other flammable liquids and that the car is not parked in there where fumes could make there way into the home via the ducting.
Of course just getting the furnace up in the air where the bottom of the door is 16" from the floor may also make it approvable without any other consideration...all depending on what the local code says or what the insurance co. says is ok.

See there? That's why they pay you the "big bucks" Keith...:hmm3grin2orange:

If the furnace was installed in the corner and 2 walls were erected around it ...it would not actually be in the garage.
This is really an insurance question and if they approve it then I'd say your good to go.
It's not like you have to pull a permit.

This is basically my plan.I intend to enclose a "small room " in my garage for the furnace and electric water heater.My cold air return is going to be from inside the house.I intended to add a vent for my make up air for the furnace.
Have spoken with ins agent as was told as long as its up to mfg specs then everything is okay.the furnace will be enclosed with brick on three sides.A lot of what I'm doing is overkill but the last thing I want to do is cut corners safety wise.Also I have built a stand out of steel that puts door to furnace about 24 inches from floor.

As for storing gasoline or other flammable liquids in garage,,it doesnt happen.I have a 30 x30 outside building for that stuff.
I just two afraid of anything flammable in the garage to take any chances on it.

elevating your current furnace could also solve any venting height issues if you would someday install a taller furnace.

Back