Strange Acting Bar

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MAG58

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I have one .050 13" bar that are of the same type that I use on some of my smaller saws, like the Husqvarna 242xpg, but this one is acting very strange.
I have tested this one bar on Jonsered 2152, Husqvarna 36, and 242xpg, and whit different chain's and the behavior is the same. What is going on whit this bar I don't understand, cos when I use it on a saw it get very hot after a short period and I have to loosen the chain, and after a short time of cutting the nose sprocket locks up because of the heat in the bar and not of sawdust or anything like that. I have examine it and everything seems to be OK. Non of the other bar's of this type are acting like this one, so I what is going on here? :confused:

It's the one whit "X ?" in this photo's
attachment.php

attachment.php

..... I have examine it and everything seems to be OK....

.... just throwing out ideas here - maybe one of them will stick ....

What did you check to confirm that it is okay?

Did you check to see if the chain guides (channel) on the bar might be pinched together slightly, causing the chain to rub against the guides hard enough to overheat the bar?

Or maybe the tops of the channel are peened slightly and need to be filed?

Is your nose sprocket loose at all? (maybe whatever it rotates on is worn out, rubbing, and then overheating?

Did you lay the bar on a known flat surface and check for slight warping?

HTH

I notice that the oil hole in the affected bar is larger, and that it looks rather deformed. Did you drill it out? Maybe the oil is not getting where it needs to go. Is the oil line clogged, or the pick-up in the oil tank?

it the rebel of the group? slap it and tell it to act right......or you will replace it with a new and better bar......that should do it.

it also looks old and ready for retirement.....how old is it

Last edited:
This bar have not been used mush. No warping, chain guides are good, tops of the channel are good, and the sprocket on this crazy bar are spinning free and fine when the bar is cold. But maybe there has been something wrong whit the sprocket from when it was new, so when the sprocket is spinning when cutting, it's heat the bar and then lock up?

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
Are you sure your running the right gauge of chain? Those other bars could be .058 with .058 chain and this bar is .050? Just throwing it out there....

That entire bar looks blue from being overheated. Looks like someone was doggin it and it probably warped. I would Send that to the junkpile! Time for a new one.

Those bars are cheap - if the chain spins freely when it is cold, just toss it......:agree2:

It sort of sounds like the nose sprocket bearing is bad, if the rails are OK.......

The only saw I use those on is the 339xp, and I never had any problems with them.

Last edited:
Those bars are cheap - if the chain spins freely when it is cold, just toss it......:agree2:

The only saw I use those on is the 339xp, and I never had any problems with them.

The chain spins freely when it's cold, and it's the first time I have had any problems whit this bar type.

Last edited:
bar ?

grease it and then try it sometime they get small particle (s) in the bearing race. they do not come pre greased. they are designed be greased before first use.
just a thought
:cheers:

I'm not sure if this is Oregon or the Norwegian made EM original.

It is either a Norwegian made one, or an older Swedish made one - the rivet pattern at the tip tells me that it is not an Oregon made one.....;)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back