strange job

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blue

ArboristSite Operative
we have just finnished a job today that i have to say was the strangest thing i have ever been asked to do.the client is shall we say a bit differant .she has a connifer hedge that is dying(from what we cannot find out) and wanted us to take the dead out and leave the live branches while achieving something differant to look at.all i will say is it certinisley(can't spell) differant.has anyone seen or been asked to to anything like this before(please let the pictures work this time)?

pic of before(i hope)

PRUNER 1

PRUNER 1

ArboristSite Operative
i think that is truly weird. i know of a couple of lads who went to reduce and face up a conifer hedge. they reduced it fine but were a bit harsh on the facing up and took off all the green back to the brown. lmao. i think the tenant actually wanted to sue the council or get replanted or something. i know the boss bollocked them for it though. we did a strange/weird job in a cemetery, the only original tree left, a big grey pop went over, rotational slip. the crypt it had been planted next to had been washed away underground and tree had nothing to hold to and just, well, slipped over. we could see into the crypt, spooky.

Base

ArboristSite Member
i have seen this done before though they were only single stems, as for odd arty customers ...................no comment :)

blue

ArboristSite Operative
base,
she is deffinatley odd and arty,but in her defense she is havin a fence put up behind the tree's which will make them look a whole lot better,it's some fancy panel fencing(£2000 just for the panels!!!!!)

MasterBlaster

MasterBlaster

TreeHouse Elder
Like Brian would say, gut and raise. I woulda tried to talk em outta going so high, but sometimes you hafta do what the customer wants.

Are those flush cuts, or is that a trick of the picture? :confused:

Guy Meilleur

Guy Meilleur

Addicted to ArboristSite
Originally posted by blue
a connifer hedge that is dying(from what we cannot find out) and wanted us to take the dead out and leave the live branches while achieving something differant to look at
You definitely gave the customer what they asked for--different!:eek:

Your first pic shows a hedge with spotty dieback down low, but you took out a lot of branches that were not dead. Now the customer's property has lost valuable screen, windbreak, dirt and dust absorption, oxygenating, noise muffling and wildlife values. Why didn't you just cut out the dead and dying and leave the rest?:confused:

Or better yet, find out what the plant and the disease/condition are called so you can treat it? Maybe a spray of something nontoxic like soap may have cured the problem. If it was a disease how do you know it will not start killing the few branches you left?:blob2:

When the customer is wrong, isn't it up to the arborist to identify what's right and try to sell the best service for the plant?

treeman82

treeman82

Addicted to ArboristSite
I am with Guy on this one. I see a lot of live branches down on the ground. Why did you remove them all? These people just lost a LOT of privacy by doing that.

blue

ArboristSite Operative
what she wanted was the dead removed upto the height of the healthy growth along the length off the hedge.she knew it would look kinda wierd but had a vision of revealing the strctual growth of the hedge.if we just removed the dead it would have looked truly poop with holes all over the place.the pictures don't do any justice to how it looks IMO it looks pretty cool even betta when the fence goes up.when she came home i can honestly say i have never seen anyone so happy with a job it was exactly as she had envisaged it would turn out so we were quite chuffed,she knows that she will lose the hedge in the next few years but isn't to bothered as before then she can look at it and know that she loves it.;)

Guy Meilleur

Guy Meilleur

Addicted to ArboristSite
Originally posted by blue
if we just removed the dead it would have looked truly poop with holes all over the place.
Those holes would eventually fill in with dense interior growth; check www.plantamnesty.org for info on hedge thinning.

Glad the lady was happy, but I don't know why she's resigned to losing the plants. Did she see dead needles and just give up?
ID'ing the condition would've been the #1 job.

Re expensive fences, a client here is paying $150/linear foot for one, but would not pay $290. to cable a hollow branch above it (and a $500,00 house addition).:alien:

Dadatwins

Dadatwins

Addicted to ArboristSite
Almost looks like backwards topping. They will probably survive but I wonder what they will look like when all the cuts start sending out new growth? Definitely goes into the never seen that before category.

jkrueger

jkrueger

ArboristSite Guru
reveling the arch.

If the specimans can be healthy and what canceled out the growth of the lower banches can be taken care of they will do fine. The archetecture is good to show. And if they can hadle the stress of less green they wil do fine.

Like bonzi, taking a little at a time would have been better. Can't say about these I wasn't there to examine the plants. And you need to go back and check on there health.

You must establish the original plant health issue. And handle it - the pathology.

Later,
Jack

Latest posts