Strange Wood Scrounge Experience

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I might have lost access to a logging site because of that.

Currently I haul my firewood from a logging site about 30 miles away. The dry stuff is no good to the loggers and the Forestry guys want those dry logs out of there to reduce the fire hazards.

I pay the logger for piling the wood near the road (it's not much, but he is happy as it easily covers his fuel costs) and I pull in and throw it on my truck and trailer.

He also has piles of his money wood laying around as he builds up his volume until it is worth hiring the logging trucks to haul the wood out.

The last time I was out there I noticed that someone had been cutting his money wood and taking it away.

I saw the logger on the way out and let him know what I had seen. One of his operators was with him and informed us that he had seen someone cutting that wood, but thought that he had arranged with the logger to do so. We know the guy that did it and he has no excuses as he was specifically told not to touch the money wood.

My suggestion was to block off the road when he wasn't there so that no one could get in. That means that I cannot get any firewood either, but the way I see it is that operation is his livelihood, while my firewood hauling is something that I can do elsewhere.

I have not been out since, but he told me that even if he does block off the road he would bring some to the landing for me. I guess it may work out for me, but it ticks me off that people will go in and steal what others have worked for.

That sucks, I hope you get back in on the good thing you had going.

Alot of people are too damned lazy for their own good.

Besides,the kid would be better off without a dad if all he has is a dad that not only shows him that it was okay to steal, but brought him along in the coarse of the crime.

Do you really mean that? Let the one of us who has never sinned cast the first stone. . . or something like that.

Hey, I get the point. If someone gets caught stealing another man's property and gets shot, I understand he had it coming to him. Yeah, he shouldn't have been stealing. But, I'd imagine killing someone for taking some logs is a heavy load to carry for a lifetime.

As a brotherhood in this forum, I'm saying we can help each other learn more than how to split wood. We could bring each other to a higher level.

Get Some Wood

Hello,
I like what HUSKY 137 said....that was a good one !!!!!!!!!

Basso

KD, I would get permission from everyone who has anything to do with that property. I have run into problems when trapping on properties that have multiple owners. Usually family farms. Sons say you can go in there and the father sees you there and wants to know whats going on.

I got thrown off a lake like that one time. I had to sneak back in during the Steelers game to get my traps.

I will give restaraurnt gift cards to people who let me cut wood.

Do you really mean that? Let the one of us who has never sinned cast the first stone. . . or something like that.

Hey, I get the point. If someone gets caught stealing another man's property and gets shot, I understand he had it coming to him. Yeah, he shouldn't have been stealing. But, I'd imagine killing someone for taking some logs is a heavy load to carry for a lifetime.

As a brotherhood in this forum, I'm saying we can help each other learn more than how to split wood. We could bring each other to a higher level.

Cant say I am without sin, but I can honestly say I have never taught my children to steal, either by example or outright demonstration. I surely cant on the other hand advocate shooting someone for stealing firewood. However, I fully believe that only a fool would set out to confront an unknown force without being able to even the odds if called upon, either to protect your property, or yourself. The OP in my mind brought a rifle along not to enforce the law and hand out corporal punishment by shooting a wood thief, but for protection in case the unknown became more than what could be handled and retreat became something out of the question.
As far as the kid growing up without such a disgraceful example of a father, absolutely. In fact, shoot them both and take both out of the gene pool, we have enough thieves in society today without breeding another batch.
Okay, maybe that is taking it a bit far, but yes I fully believe that children suffer a better chance with no example than a poor one.
If you want to reach a higher level, try www.drphil.com
For me, I come her to learn something new, chat about woodcutting and its related arts, hang out with people who are like minded in their interests, and share what meager bit of knowledge that I have aquired in my 40 years of dragging a chainsaw around. If I wanted a lecture about morale structure, I would stop by my mothers house.

You're right. I come here for the same reasons - to learn more about making wood heat, not to preach. I'll leave the the moral talk for your mother, but it's frightening to know that guys like you are walking around.

Kyle, I agree.

I was thinking of stopping by on my way home from work one day this week. Maybe drop off a small gift or something, thanking her again, heck I don't know.

It seems like a situation where, if it was a guy, I would drop off a case of beer or something like that, say thanks and make small talk. Not really sure what to do seeing that shes a woman. Maybe offer to leave some of the wood that I cut up for her/her family as well. KD
Yup there are good folk out there, sounds like a nice oppertunity for your wood supply, for safety's sake when you decide to head over there bring along a big, good natured, around yer age, single dude, just in case, ya know, two-footed PPE :D Just a wee thought fer this wet and windy day.

:cheers:

Serge

Latest posts

Back