Stranger in the garage!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
3025_83875316797_83874101797_2372477_157421_n.jpg

"The paw is old school," says Glemie Beasley, a Detroit raccoon hunter and meat salesman. "It lets the customers know it's not a cat or dog."

Those traps work great on racoons. I like to leave an open can of tuna in there for bait - they seem to like it.

When I catch them I like to think back over the last few months or years of people who have done me wrong and have not been paid back. I like to pay such people back by " re-homing" racoons on or near their property. The only kicker is they must live a good distance from me so they do not return to my garbage bins. I realize it seems kind of childish but it keeps a smile on my face all the way home after dropping them off.

If you can't think of anyone that you need to pay back - call a buddy. This method usually lands a case of beer on my doorstep after the deed is done.

There's this chicken farmer that is a total azz and from time to time we live trap a few coon only to be released at his home.
Over heard him one day yelling about his coon poppulation and that he didn't like them around.
How does that saying go....comes around ...goes around...yup that's the ticket.LOL

FWIW in most parts of the country is it illegal to trap an animal in one area and release it in another without a permit. It spreads diseases like rabies and mange, and can lead to the faster spread of parasites. Check with your local dog pound or animal protection agency for specifics, but if you are moving a critter, you are moving a problem.

As a person that used to work on a farm where people dropped off cats that they did not desire anymore I can say full well that those cats never survived long. They are not adapted to farm life and they do not do well.

Raccoons are very adaptable, but they carry rabies and should be carefully dealt with.

:agree2:

Roast Raccoon with Stuffing

~ 5 - 7lb raccoon, dressed, not cut up
~ 1/2 lb sausage meat
~ 3 tbsp butter
~ 1 onion, chopped
~ 1 cup chopped celery
~ 2 tsp salt
~ 1/2 tsp pepper
~ 1/4 cup cream
~ 2 cups corn bread crumbs
~ 2 tsp sage
~ 3 tbsp chopped parsley
~ 1 tsp marjoram
~ 1/2 tsp mace
~ 1/4 cup orange juice
~ 1 cup red wine

In a skillet, saute the onion and celery in the butter.

Add the sausage meat and cook until brown. Drain off the fat.

In a bowl mix the sausage mixture, cream, corn bread crumbs, sage, parsley, marjoram, mace and orange juice together thoroughly.

Salt and pepper the raccoon inside and out.

Stuff the raccoon and close up the belly cavity. Place on a rack in a roasting pan and cook for 45 minutes per pound at 300 degrees.

Turn over when half done.

Baste frequently with the wine and the pan juices when they cook out.

Serve and Enjoy!

TreePointer,I use to have a friend that live trapped all the coon and groundhogs he could in Shenango Township. He would then release them into Neshannock Township where according to him all the animal lovers lived. He has passed on since,its an interesting concept. Never did it myself,just wondered if that coon was a relative of the ones he sent up there.

TreePointer,I use to have a friend that live trapped all the coon and groundhogs he could in Shenango Township. He would then release them into Neshannock Township where according to him all the animal lovers lived. He has passed on since,its an interesting concept. Never did it myself,just wondered if that coon was a relative of the ones he sent up there.

Hah! That's too funny. I do know some animal lovers here, and the longtime Humane Society president lived here, too. The ironic thing is that the abundance of local hunters and trappers probably enjoyed having the extra critters.

~ 1/2 lb sausage meat
~ 3 tbsp butter
~ 1 onion, chopped
~ 1 cup chopped celery
~ 2 tsp salt
~ 1/2 tsp pepper
~ 1/4 cup cream
~ 2 tsp sage
~ 3 tbsp chopped parsley
~ 1 tsp marjoram
~ 1/2 tsp mace
~ 1/4 cup orange juice
~ 1 cup red wine

In a bowl mix the sausage mixture, cream, corn bread crumbs, sage, parsley, marjoram, mace and orange juice together thoroughly.

Stuff the raccoon and close up the belly cavity. Place on a rack in a roasting pan and cook for 45 minutes per pound at 300 degrees.

Serve and Enjoy!
I suppose I could do it if I was starving, but the thought of eating a raccoon kinda creeps me out. Sorta like eating a cat. Yech.

Woo-Hoo! :rock::rock: Killed the coon. :cheers::cheers: Right On!

On, no. Wait a sec......Sorry. My bad. :greenchainsaw:

You agree that racoons carry rabies, mange, and God knows what else and you want to cook them up and eat them - no thanks !!

~ 1/2 lb sausage meat
~ 3 tbsp butter
~ 1 onion, chopped
~ 1 cup chopped celery
~ 2 tsp salt
~ 1/2 tsp pepper
~ 1/4 cup cream
~ 2 tsp sage
~ 3 tbsp chopped parsley
~ 1 tsp marjoram
~ 1/2 tsp mace
~ 1/4 cup orange juice
~ 1 cup red wine

Serve and Enjoy!

That's a hell of a saw ya got there. Bet it cuts faster than the sharpest chainsaw.

What the heck is it?

That is a woodchuck , Killed two of them this spring trying to nest under one of my sheds. The mother in-law has a hole family of the vermin under her barn. I haven't been able to get a bead on them . Will try leg traps soon.

Beefie

That is a woodchuck , Killed two of them this spring trying to nest under one of my sheds. The mother in-law has a hole family of the vermin under her barn. I haven't been able to get a bead on them . Will try leg traps soon.

Beefie
OH NO! Say it ain't so! Anything but that.

No No No NO NO NO, I'm not going to say it.

MUST RESIST!

AHHHHH! Gawd DAMMIT, I can't help myself.

How much wood could a woodchuck chuck
if a woodchuck could chuck wood?

I feel like such a failure. :cry:.

Yep, Beefie has it right--it's a woodchuck (groundhog). That's actually one of the larger woodchucks I've shot on my parents' farm. The PA Game Commission allows us to shoot as many of them as we desire, but none on Sundays.

Back