Stringy ash?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm splitting some yard trees my FIL had the city cut down on the back of his lot this fall. EAB ash. I have never seen it so stringy! I hand split a few smaller pieces this fall but most of it just laughed at my fiskars Isocore maul. I see why now!
Every piece is like this. Makes for slow splitting.
IMG_3367.JPG

It's ash unless the emerald ash borer is infecting another type of tree. Had the telltale D shaped holes and dropped bark. I'm not used to this twisted trunk and limb wood though as I usually cut it out of my woods where they're nice n straight. I put a tank thru the splitter making half this piddly stack!
IMG_3365.JPG
I usually hand split that much ash in less time. It'll burn though!

I have some like that too. I usually set it aside and it goes in the OWB instead of selling. It stands out in the pile and looks bad. I myself think it takes forever to dry out too. I also run into a few trees that actually have water running out of them when I cut the notch out. I mark them with my orange spray bomb and they get put in the scrap pile. Don't need any more whinny customers.

IMG_3126.JPG Thanks for the feedback guys. I thought I came across some hybrid tree that the EAB is going to spread to in the back of my mind! Usually if I wield the mighty fiskars duo in the face of an ash log it just splits in fear. These trees have had my number. Too big to handle, too nasty to split, and they ruined my 28" chain when I hit a 40 yr old brick lodged in one of the base crotches noodling it up so I could handle it too. I'd say that's the last time my father in law and I do each other a favor but we both had a good time bucking it up and hauling it. And between those 4-5 trees I'd say I have 4 cords of usable wood so worth the effort. And my mother in law was really impressed at how fast my 7900 cleaned it up so bonus points there too!

I've split tons of ash and some split nice and clean while others are stringy.

just the nature of the beast. also, I found that some have a darker grain while others are light...maybe a different species (?)

but, they all do burn nice. :)

There are at least 20 varieties of ash. Some split easily when green and others do not. The EAB has nothing to do with it. I've even run into spiral grain ash from a tree growing on a sideways angle. It's virtually impossible to split, green or dry.

that goes into the bon fire pile.

Latest posts

Back