Stripped Bucking Spike Threads

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Husqvarna 394, both sets of threads that hold the inner dog are stripped out. Is there enough material in there to drill and tap for the next size larger bolt?

So if I am tapping it to 6MM for the 5MM helicoil wouldnt I be better off just using 6mm bolts?
No.
A helicoil is stainless spring steel. Done properly it is an improved fastening solution over the original.
The 6mm bolt will likely have a correspondingly larger cross-section meaning that it won't stretch the same amount as the original 5mm at the same torque, so it will need to be tighter which will put more load on the reduced amount of brittle magnesium alloy now surrounding the thread. I'm not saying it can't work but it's a second-class solution compared to a helicoil.

Use a spring washer on the new bolts, it should keep tight without
having to tighten as much.

Did the threads strip tightening them, or did the threads tear off when loosening the bolts,
I find with aluminium that it sticks to the threads of the steel bolt and tears when removing the bolt,
chromed bolts, polished steel also help, I torque them regardless, and spring washers keep them from
vibrating.

Epoxy and re thread.
Else drill bar and make a spacer and bolt spike to bar, use slotted holes if you want adjustment.

Could you clean them out good then fill with exopy to drill and tap again
Or just give your fasteners a coat of paste wax, then hold them in place (tape?) while the epoxy hardens, then when it's hard you'll have a threaded hole in the epoxy that matches the screws perfectly (assuming you didn't leave globs of wax on the screws). No need to tap...just back out the screws, clean it it up and replace them (just don't overtighten!)

Back