stripped handlebar threads

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

like2surf

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have a 372xp with some stripped handlebar threads. Does anybody have any repair ideas.
Inserts etc.?
Thanks Scott

Have you tried epoxy? You wont hurt anything by trying it, may be able to fill the void and give you enough bite to secure the screws.

husky makes a brass insert for stripped plastic threads on some of their mounts. i got one for my 350 and it worked well, 4$ though. they may have some thing for your situation.

I use .050 string trimmer line. Cut a peice and slide it into where the stripped theards are until it bottoms out. Leave just a little line sticking out. Thread in the screw and it should tighten up nicely. Use different diameter lines depending how whopped out the hole is.

Thread insert
A damaged thread can be repaired using a thread
insert. The slotted part of the thread insert is
screwed in first, as this is the cutting part.
To repair a thread that was originally designed for a
PL5 screw: first drill out with a 6.1 mm diameter
drill bit, then screw in the thread insert using a
suitable screw and spanner.
To repair a thread that was originally designed for a
MT6 screw: first drill out with a 7.1 mm diameter
drill bit, then screw in the thread insert using a
suitable screw and spanner.
This type of thread insert is best suited for use in
plastic and magnesium, but not for repairing
threads in aluminium. In that case use a helicoil
insert with metric screw.

503 27 39-01 PL 5

503 27 40-01 MT 6

just put a new tank on it...your husky dealer will thank you...:msp_biggrin::):msp_biggrin::popcorn:

Handle bar bolts all go into plastic. Stick a strip of plastic in the hole and reinsert the bolt.

Yep, I've just always used a suitable size length of Zip-Tie and called it good. No need to get fancy with a tank.

w8ye - I did it the same way. With nice inserts. Seemed like the fancy way to repair.

Worked great. Cost $15!

Latest posts

Back