Struggling to match clutch sprocket, nose sprocket, bar, chain, sharpener... please help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cutleg

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Man, chainsaws are so much more complicated than I thought.

I bought a Stihl 310 a while back. I have no clue what bar, chain, or sprockets were on it.

I recently replaced the clutch sprocket with this:

To me, that tells me, no matter what I had before, I just made my saw a 3/8" pitch.

I also bought this:

I am now thinking that I bought a sharpener that is incompatible with the chains that my new clutch sprocket will demand (3/8" pitch).

1. Is that right?

Further, I have a smaller Stihl (can't remember the model). I don't know what pitch it is, but I'll look at the bar.

2. Does that mean I may need to buy a 3/8" sharpener for my 310 and its chain and then, if my smaller one is .325 pitch... I'll need a second sharpener?

---
Also, I guess if my 310 was originally .325, that means all my old chains will not fit the new 3/8 clutch sprocket I put on? So, I throw them in the garbage?

Dang I'm confused.

Oh, yeah, Oregon told me that, for my 3/8 pitch drum sprocket on my 310, I need either

a. Part 580123 which is an 050 bar with a standard chain (not low kickback)
or
b. Part 580122 whichis an 063 bar with a standard chain (not low kickback)

I realize there are better bars, but I want to get better at all this before buying better bars.

You bought a spur type clutch drum. Those can only use one pitch of chain in your case full size 3/8 not picco 3/8 or 3/8lp. You likely could have bought a splined rim drive clutch drum that would come with one size rim drive sprocket and others are available. You do not need throw the old chains away but will need another way to drive them if they are not full size 3/8. Unless you get a hard nose bar which has no sprocket bars are specific to pitch as well as the thickness of the drive links commonly called gauge.

The sharpener you put a link for has a slightly smaller diameter file, the round one than is generally recommended for the chain that corresponds to to the clutch drum you posted a link to.

1. Yes, On all accounts.

The .325 sharpener will not work on 3/8 chain. The files won’t line up properly.

You are correct. If your other saw is .325 it will work on there.

If your 310 was .325, then the new hardware will not match up with the old chains.

Ugh, so stupid of me. I guess the ideal thing - assuming I just have two saws - is to have matching pitch on both saws so I can use just one sharpener!

Not really as the files have limited lifespan and need replaced. You could have bought separate file guide and depth gauge guide.
Do you know if those Stihl sharpeners allow for you to swap out 3/8 and .325 guides and files?

Given the above conversation regarding me unintentionally converting my Stihl 310 to 3/8 pitch clutch sprocket, which of these Oregon combos do y'all recommend as my next bar+chain

a. Part 580123 which is an 050 bar with a standard chain (not low kickback)
or
b. Part 580122 whichis an 063 bar with a standard chain (not low kickback)

Latest posts

Back