Student researching a class project

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whacim

Reaction score
I am a business student at Indiana University, Indianapolis researching a class project. The project is to create a proposal for a service that includes marketing, financing, and operations aspects of the business. I have chosen a tree service for my project, and I was hoping that I could ask for some general information, and advice.
The equipment requirements that I see are: a bucket truck, chipper truck, a spider lift, a ¾ pickup, equipment trailer, climbing gear, ropes, saws, and large & small stump cutters. I am trying to estimate purchase costs, and then average yearly depreciation and maintenance expenses. The class instructor wants the project to include a major investment, so money is no object.
I am also attempting to determine how much revenue could be realistically generated on average throughout the year. Since every job is unique it is hard to determine how to price the service. I know it is a competitive business, and there are regional differences in services prices, but a reasonable estimate is all that is needed for the project.
Lastly, I am trying to determine what services are provided what percentage of the time on average. For example: 10% stump removal, 25% pruning, 15% tree removal, etc.
I would appreciate any help that you might offer. The local tree services that I have contacted have been reluctant (understandably) to release some of the costs and prices associated with their businesses. Thank you very much.

The equipment requirements that I see are: a bucket truck, chipper truck, a spider lift, a ¾ pickup, equipment trailer, climbing gear, ropes, saws, and large & small stump cutters. I am trying to estimate purchase costs, and then average yearly depreciation and maintenance expenses. The class instructor wants the project to include a major investment, so money is no object.
Some odd equipment choices-what are you carrying in the equipment trailer? What are stump cutters? And what happened to the chipper that you should be pulling with your chipper truck? Would add prentice loader or some other way to haul wood and maybe a crane if money is no object. Did you do any research on this at all?

Go massive on advertising. This is crucial for unqualified, inexperienced tree services. No matter that you will do shabby work, rarely making the simplest of cuts properly. Get a huge two page spread in the yellow pages. Get thousands of yard signs, benches, billboards, television... Hire dozens of inexperienced workers, cover then with workmen's comp and pay all the taxes, because that will be crossed referenced. Get big huge trucks and lifts, chippers, grinders...Let the workers convince you that spiking trims is okay, just because it's the only way they know to climb has nothing to do with their choice of entry into the canopy. Offer to "underbid" any legitimate estimate, even though you have no idea about proper pruning. Crush roots with your huge trucks. Go to storm ravaged towns and make big money, still rarely if ever making the simplest of cuts properly. You can do it. Theoretically, of course.

Last edited:
Go to vermeer up on the north side of Indy there in Fischers. There you will find prices on various ropes saws, chippers, grinders, etc. The only thing you will not come across is the bucket truck at this location. You might try contacting the Bartlett office in Indy. They're large corporation but they're good people.

C'mon, guys! He's a STUDENT doing a theoretical RESEARCH PROJECT. He's trying to earn a grade in a class, not some idiot trying to start up a business for real! Of COURSE he doesn't know what he's doing! That's why he's asking the pros!

:monkey:

Back