stump grinder, de-barker

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mt.stalker

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Anyone in here ever use the small unit that bolts to the chainsaw bar ?
It has small planer blades, saw it on ebay for $100.00. Do they work well ?

I've never used one myself but another member that hasn't posted in a while does. He claimed that they worked so well to the point he actually had to dull new blades a bit before using them as they cut too fast. Again, no personal experience, just hear-say.

I almost wish you hadn't posted this. The only reason I didn't buy the last time I looked at them was their $200+ price tag (log wizard). $100 for the Hudson is much better...

Cool, Thanks for the input butcher and prospector, I didn't want to drop a
C note on some peice of s**t that doesn't work . This'll give my husky
136 something to do. The seller said it works better on smaller saws.

I would think that since you're using the bottom of a rotating head, and the top of it is covered it would not kick back. The top of the bar tip is where kick back is usually produced. Isn't it?

Andy

I the classic chainsaw scenario, yes. But I was thinking of kickback generated along the lines of being caused by hitting a knot or foriegn matter. Maybe I'm all wet. In any event I'll stick to my line debarker on the woodmizer.

Valid point, husky. I would think the same degree of danger exists with this tool as with any power tool. In my opinion, the responsibility of avoiding injury rests on the operator. A little bit of smarts and care goes a long way.

I would think that since you're using the bottom of a rotating head, and the top of it is covered it would not kick back. The top of the bar tip is where kick back is usually produced. Isn't it?

Andy

Yes this is what i meant if you have seen a picture of one only the bottom half of the rotary head is exposed. You would have to be trying to get it to kick back i would think

Well like I said, I have no personal experiance with one, but I have seen my friend take off pig ears (knots) with one and no problems. Aggiewoodbutcher is right about the operator being responsible for accidents. A machine of any kind is like a jellous woman; Take your mind off of her for a seccond, and she will get your attention!
My friend also uses a dremel to take the teeth off the saw chain that runs his little debarker, just another thought for safety.

Andy

Hi all, haven't been sawin much lately, other work. A saw wizard works best on a 50cc or so saw due to the way you have to hold it up over the work, ya don't need any more power, a smaller saw would work too. No problems with kickback, but a cutterless chain would be the ticket for safety. I've been meaning to get one. Chaps are a must- this thing really throws the chips.

Andy

Like to there web site with a paragraph on avoiding kickback

http://www.logwizard.com/safety.php3

Also, remember that to obtain the maximum performance from your Log Wizard, please ensure that your logs are securely mounted to the operating surface. We recommend working with all logs at ground level. To aviod the possibility of kick back, never approach your work straight in.

I would be interested in one of these for small stumps etc.

I was considering the log wizard but this is priced better.

http://store.baileys-online.com/cgi-bin/baileys/575?mv_session_id=zRAHtzRD&product_sku=49600

I just asked them if they will Ship USPS as it is too expensive to ship with brokerage fees versus UPS to Canada.

They will ship via the US postal service which lets me avoid the outrageous UPS brokerage fees so I am getting one of these and will post how it works in a couple of weeks when I get it.

Now my question is which saw to put it on? Hmmm...I wonder if the Ranger has enough omphh for that...

I have an extra 16" bars( .325 bar for 260 and a .375 bar for the MS361) and I would just keep it attached to one of these. I am leaning towards using the 260 except for the fact that I use it far more than the 361 and don't see that changing.

Gee I had it in my hands today for about 10 seconds. But then the Delivery driver asked for $57 in brokerage fees!

WTF...Turns out they shipped it via UPS instead of the post office as requested so I gave it back to the driver. It is a bit annoying as this was agreed upon, confirmed before I paid and I put in the remarks on Payment to send via USPS.

I phoned their 1-800 number and they apologized and were very good about correcting this and are shipping another one out today via USPS.

The wait continues!

Latest posts

Back