stump grinder question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

merc_man

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I am gonna rent a stump grnder. Got one big stump and a few smaller ones. Just wondering if one of the smaller portable ones would work. The big stump is probobly about 30 or a little better inchs. Rest are 16 and under. i know bigger is better but would be easyer with smaller one.
So whats your thought on how big a stump you can grnd with a small portablegrnder.

Thanks and sorry if this is in wrong section.

I have a Carlton SP-2000 walk-behind and it will go places the bigger ones won't... but, with a 19", 18-tooth wheel, it takes awhile to do the big stumps. I've found it's easier to grind out the 30" and bigger ones by coming at it from three angles. Imagine a pie cut into three equal slices... you grind out a third, move around the stump and take out another third, then take out the last third.

With the walk behind grinders, it is hard to see what you're doing, so it helps to have someone there to help guide the cutter. My wife does this for me with hand signals, and it helps a lot.

I have seen much smaller units than the Carlton at the equipment rental places, with engines under 10 HP and small cutters. Mine has a 27 HP engine. I can't imagine those little ones will cut a 30" stump in much less than 3 or 4 hours. You get faster as you gain experience using them, but it is a time-consuming process and you have to be careful. If you hit something in the wood or ground that you weren't expecting to be there (bricks, concrete, steel, rocks, kids toys, gravel, glass, cans, bottles, license plates, etc.) it is not only hard on the grinder's teeth, it can be hard on your teeth, too, if it comes flying out of there. Underground sprinkler lines, buried telephone and cable wires, etc. often show up in there. I even found a pile of bones that the homeowner's dog was burying next to the tree. Owner said the dog had died 15 years back, and the tree's root system had enclosed the bone pile. For a minute there, I thought I had found Jimmy Hoffa.

Holy. You figure about three to four hours to grind a stump that size with a smaller one. Thats longer then i was hoping to hear.

I priced renting a grinder for a half day, added in my time, learning curve, etc., and found it was less expensive to have the local tree service grind them.

Yes... the SP-2000 is probably the biggest of the walk-behind stump cutters, and I've spent 2 hours getting a big stump ground out. It can go down about two feet, but luckily the job only required getting it a few inches below grade. I can't imagine grinding anything bigger than about a foot diameter with those smaller units. There are times when the Carlton isn't worth the amount of work involved, and I give them the number of a company with a big machine instead of a quote. Gotta know your limits.

It also depends on species. I've ground out a 30" Western red cedar with a Homeless Despot rental in about 45 minutes and taken about 2 hours to do a 16" pine. The other factor is how sharp the teeth are. For a while, we were renting walk behind grinders fairly regularily (due to access problems) and we bought our own set of teeth and would change out the teeth as soon as we got the rental. Sharp teeth make a huge difference.

It also depends on species. I've ground out a 30" Western red cedar with a Homeless Despot rental in about 45 minutes and taken about 2 hours to do a 16" pine. The other factor is how sharp the teeth are. For a while, we were renting walk behind grinders fairly regularily (due to access problems) and we bought our own set of teeth and would change out the teeth as soon as we got the rental. Sharp teeth make a huge difference.

+1 to the sharp teeth idea. Huge difference.

I grind out all of my stumps with my old Dosko 782. Big ones just take more time but they can be done. Also depends what you're going to do over the top of the ground stump as to how deep you go.

Latest posts

Back