Stump Grinding Contract/Workorder

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Diver1

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
My dad who has been retired for two years, and me helps out with the firewood buisiness just purchased a small stump grinder and says hes going to grind stumps this summer for some extra money. Im helping him as much as I can and Im looking for a contract or workorder he can use for his new buis. Any sugestions on where to find one, or maybe some one could send me a blank copy of theirs. It sure would help.

Also can anyone recomend a good company for some liability insurance?

thanks

I'll be interested to see if anyone has any preprinted forms to recommend. I wrote my own, which includes tree care operations. To get them printed in 5.5"x 8.5" (half sheet of standard typing paper ) with carbonless yellow copy attached cost me $94 for 500. The same form works as a bid sheet or a reciept.

Can't help with the pre printed, I've been procrastinating making my own. Would recommend a clause stating that the customer is responsible for underground damage to utilities not buried to the proper depth. I hit sprinkler lines fairly regular less than 12" deep. Hit a 3/4" water line last Friday that was 10" deep and made out of electrical conduit :angry:. Have also hit cable tv lines at 3":eek:.

disclaimers

Chips will not be removed and roots are not chased unless specified in writing above.

Always call the utility companies before you grind below 6" if you have any fear that utilities are near.

It takes just a couple of days for them to do a mark-out and it's free.

I hope the dude eats his wheaties because from time to time you get to exert some serious energy picking rocks, raking chips, pulling the machine out of a hole, unwrapping belts from pullies, etc...

I would recomend Quick Books
http://quickbooks.intuit.com/?priorityCode=0273600000

You can make your own contracts, forms, work orders, check writting and billing. If you get a book from Amazon, Borders... it will walk you through the whole setup. It might take sometime to get used to it but once up and running you'll never be with out it.

I can state this based on the amount of clients that I have that use it. Plus at the end of the year you can bring the QWB file to your accountant and bingo you done. If you don't use an accountant you can use this file to do your taxes online.
If you are using this or another software package take back ups.

Here's my current work order. Pretty cheap to produce with a copy machine and used with carbon paper. Details have to be written in. The next generation will have lots of check boxes, some legalese, and work on a pda.

My work orders state that I will not be responsible for damage to any underground installations such as pipes, cables, wires etc, although reasonable care to avoid such damage will be taken. Making your own contracts, work orders, invoices etc is the the best and easy to do with a computer program such as Word or Excel.

Thanks for all the feedback. It sounds like hitting buried cables, and lines is a fairly common occurrance; we will definitely include a disclaimer for such problems.

Koa Man

Koa:

I don't know how it works in Hawaii but try to get paid after doing any damage in NJ and your walking on water.

Marky, Quickbooks is great if your on the books. It sounds like this guy will be on the QT.

Therefore, I recommend blending all the bits and pieces everyone has offered and customize your own form, bring it to KINKOS, they are the cheapest printer with the nicest results. You want (2) part forms so you don't have to guess at what you quoted (2) months down the line.

2 cents given!

Ted, I wouldn't characterize hitting underground lines as common. In grinding several thousand stumps I've hit one cablevision line (NOT buried but strung along a fence 10 inches high-I was working under it but the machine bucked and got it) and 8-10 sprinker system lines. I also touched (but got off of) a gas line that some idiot ran 3" underground. I like the idea of a disclaimer and may add it to my bidsheet but generally speaking A. People don't plant trees on top of shallow lines. B. If the lines were installed to code (or even halfway sensibly) they are below the level you will typically grind.:angel:

Latest posts

Back