stump rot

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

new treeman

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
hi yall Ive got a lot of stumps in my back yard grinding is out cause i have time to rot them just dont know how something about drilling a hole and bleach is that rite please help

Rot is very slow. Get them ground out and plant something good.

Whatever you do don't put bleach in the soil it's poison.

Yep, forget the bleach, it won't do anything to get rid of the stumps. Just keep drilling holes, lots and lots of holes. When there is nothing left to drill, the stumps will decay quickly.

Potassium Nitrate will help soften them. Swallow a little while you are applying it and it will keep something else soft. The increase in decomposition rate is noticeable-what would have taken 15-20 years will only take 7-20 years.:rolleyes: This explains why I own a Stump Grinding machine. Bleach will indeed poison the stump but it won't help it rot.(In fact it may slow that process because it kills the helpful fungi as well). Best wishes.:angel:

...or you could culture a 5 gallon vat of rotting fungi after you locate a case of "butt rot" and feed it in a tea of Hasta-Grow and oakwood chips w/ an aquarium air pump kept at 90 degreesF and away from light for two weeks.

Pour it into the drill holes and a year later you have depressions where the stumps used to be.

Let nature help do what man can't patent (yet).

I always wondered if soaking a stump with kerosene and then torching and let it slow burn actually works?

That works too - but the burn might take as long a couple weeks (underground) and that presents problems of fires starting when your not there. There's an oak stump here that's been smoldering for three weeks.

Not to mention leaching downward of some nasty persistant oils.

Try the fungi soup or the bore holes. Digging and a double-bit axe is also one remedy.

Originally posted by oakwilt
...or you could culture a 5 gallon vat of rotting fungi after you locate a case of "butt rot"

I had some of that "butt rot" several weeks ago. Just about killed me but the stumps didn't seem affected.:D

stumps

If they are cut close to the ground, cover them with grass clippings every time you mow the lawn and water occasionally. Bugs and fungi like warm moist places out of direct sunlight and the grass clippings are a mild form of food as it decomposes for them to feed on while they work into the stumps. This keeps the sun from drying out the wood and making it too hard for the bugs to chew through or fungi to get into. Drilling the holes will help hold water to keep the stump moist but not needed for this to work.

Latest posts

Back