Stumper teeth breaking

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coolbrze

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Just replaced the teeth on our Carlton 2500-4 and have broken 5 teeth in the last few weeks. We did hit a couple lg. rocks & a piece of concrete so I chalked the first 2-3 teeth off on that. We broke 2 more off last week and now I'm wondering if a couple pockets are messed up. On several teeth, we couldn't get them to go in quite far enough, they're sticking out ~ 1/8" more than they should and I'm wondering if that's why. Any suggestions or ideas?

I use the Rayco super teeth on my grinder. What teeth are you using?Are you cracking the carbide tip or the steel shank? More info would be helpfull.

when tightening, do you hit the sides of the pocket with a hammer before the final crankdown? More info please. What kinda tooth/pocket setup? Sometimes after enough abuse, the bolts will egg out the holes on the wheel and the metal expands outward and you need to grind it down, but thats usually on a high hour or old machine.

Last edited:
Sorry should have been more clear. The teeth & pockets are the standard Carlton teeth/pockets. The steel shank is breaking, not the carbide tip. No, didn't hit the pockets before the final 150 ft./lb. of torque crankdown.

I'm having the same issue with my greenteeth. I broke 3 of them today after hitting rocks. I would love to hear from some people who grind in rocky soil what kind of teeth they are using. I think mine are the 900 series. The carbide is breaking right off the tooth.

From my past experience, Greenteeth are just plain junk when used in rocky conditions. There are other reasons why I do not like Greenteeth, but the main reason is that they just do not hold up when any rock is present. Even a small rock will ruin the carbide tips easily.
If you grind in any locations with rock, then Greenteeth are not the type of tooth you should be using. you will never get any good tooth life with them.
Jeff

Teeth choice?

I am in rocky conditions daily, and found the Sandvik teeth the best option, by far. Prior to that I broke a lot of Vermeer Pro-Series and Yellow Jacket Teeth, and Green Teeth as well. The Sandvik teeth are also very easy to change.

I too have found the Sandvik teeth the best for longevity. Not only do I get more hours out of them, I am sure I am grinding more stumps per hour - this saves wear and tear on me and the machine.

From my past experience, Greenteeth are just plain junk when used in rocky conditions. There are other reasons why I do not like Greenteeth, but the main reason is that they just do not hold up when any rock is present. Even a small rock will ruin the carbide tips easily.
If you grind in any locations with rock, then Greenteeth are not the type of tooth you should be using. you will never get any good tooth life with them.
Jeff
i CHANGED OVER TO GREENTEETH 1100'S ON MY TRX AND 7015 1000 HOURS AGO AND COULDN'T BE HAPPIER.i FIND THEY ARE EXTREMELY DURABLE IN ROCK AND VERY PRODUCTIVE. ANYBODY THAT IS NOT HAPPY WITH YOUR 1100 GREENTEETH I WILL BUY ALL THE NEW ONES YOU HAVE LEFT AT 60%OF RETAIL PRICE {$8.37 EACH}. FORGIVE THE CAPS, MY WIFES BEEN ON MY COMPUTOR.

Latest posts

Back