Stumps

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
that is an interesting looking stump ,looks like the trees right next to it that fits it

That is the new Spiral face cut... use a bar half the length of your diameter, start at a point work around tree w/ downward angle.

Very popular in Candyland

dw

Oh and your pic:

259362d1351277814-035-jpg

That is an actual falling method, but I cant remember what its called. I had a book that breifly described it, wish I could remember what it was called. I do think it is a Swede technique, and used on smaller timber.

I stopped at this spot last week and found this tree and this, I guess we will call it a stump. I spent near 10 minutes looking at the stump, the tree and the surroundings and could not come up with a logical reason to cut a tree like that. Another 5 minutes looking at it today and I just shake my head. It was not fell up the hill or down the hill, perpendicular to the road but more kittywampus to the road. Not a small tree either, it was around 24-25" at the, ahem, stump. Believe me, I always look for the smashed saw or person when I find amusing stumps like this. Seems like no one around here can leave a proper stump. There are scads of stumps in this area with the shallow face cut and notch(good) and then the 45 degree down angled back-cut(bad).

On the other hand I left a nice stump behind today, about 12" high with most of it being flat save for the front of the stump that has a nice little angle to it, I like to undercut my face cut rather than cut down into it, tree was 65' tall and 18" at the stump. I more than filled my tacoma.

kittywampus

I stopped at this spot last week and found this tree and this, I guess we will call it a stump. I spent near 10 minutes looking at the stump, the tree and the surroundings and could not come up with a logical reason to cut a tree like that. Another 5 minutes looking at it today and I just shake my head. It was not fell up the hill or down the hill, perpendicular to the road but more kittywampus to the road. Not a small tree either, it was around 24-25" at the, ahem, stump. Believe me, I always look for the smashed saw or person when I find amusing stumps like this. Seems like no one around here can leave a proper stump. There are scads of stumps in this area with the shallow face cut and notch(good) and then the 45 degree down angled back-cut(bad).

On the other hand I left a nice stump behind today, about 12" high with most of it being flat save for the front of the stump that has a nice little angle to it, I like to undercut my face cut rather than cut down into it, tree was 65' tall and 18" at the stump. I more than filled my tacoma.

Awesome word. I had to look it up. I am definitely adding this to my vocab. No one around here will recognize it.

Urban Dictionary: kittywampus

Last edited:
Ya'll ain't never seen a curved hinge?! I call that "the crescent" or "croissant". The best application for this technique is when there is stuff you don't want to hit everywhere and you can't decide what to sacrifice so you just cut and let fate decide. It's best executed with a confused look on your face with your brother in law's poulan wildthing. Another variation of this technique is where you make the same cut but have the tree tied off to a 4 wheeler or a riding mower and try and pull it down. It is imperative that the rope be tied off no higher up the tree than you can reach with a 6' foot step ladder standing on a picnic table.

Regional variation too

In Alabama it would be cattywampus, for whatever it's worth. Also, what is the white stuff on the ground?

Around here we call that white stuff on the ground snow.

At least whomever cut this tree down left some holding wood, that must be worth something.

Ya'll ain't never seen a curved hinge?! I call that "the crescent" or "croissant". The best application for this technique is when there is stuff you don't want to hit everywhere and you can't decide what to sacrifice so you just cut and let fate decide. It's best executed with a confused look on your face with your brother in law's poulan wildthing. Another variation of this technique is where you make the same cut but have the tree tied off to a 4 wheeler or a riding mower and try and pull it down. It is imperative that the rope be tied off no higher up the tree than you can reach with a 6' foot step ladder standing on a picnic table.

That is funny. Cracked me up.

Latest posts

Back