Stung by a "Bumble Bee" Chainsaw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

max2cam

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Got another catalog from Harbor Freight yesterday and noticed a "new" item: The "Bumble Bee" branded 18" 45cc chainsaw for $199.99.

Never heard of a "Bumble Bee" chainsaw before and I wouldn't want to get stung by one, but has the long anticipated Chinese-made chainsaw arrived at a major American discount sales outlet?

I can't tell if it's a copy of anything or not, but from the photo it seems to have vertically split metal crankcases and not plastic ones. You can see screws holding the crankcase halves together. Looks alright.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=95497

Curious.

I still don't know why they insist on giving them such stupid names, though.

All the same, I'm tempted to get hold of one just for the heck of it, to see how good or bad they really are. But I can't see paying for it, so I guess that idea is out...

Curious.

All the same, I'm tempted to get hold of one just for the heck of it, to see how good or bad they really are. But I can't see paying for it, so I guess that idea is out...

I feel the same way, but already own a Swedish, Jap, and 2 German chainsaws. One has got to blow up before I get another one.

Good find Max;

It is certainly one of those Chinese saws that we will no doubt be seeing more of.

If it's a knock off of anything, it's a Red Max. Note the Fuel and oil caps both being to the rear of the starter.

One question that comes to my mind is where do you get parts for those things? And who does warranty work, or any work for that matter? I can hear it now: "Do you work on Bumble Bees?"

One question that comes to my mind is where do you get parts for those things? And who does warranty work, or any work for that matter? I can hear it now: "Do you work on Bumble Bees?"

Exactly. I am almost inclined to call up Harbor Freight and ask them. Sure, some RedMax parts *might* fit, but who knows? And who wants to pay $60 or $80/hour to have their local shop try to figure out the answer to that question.

Oh well, just makes you think of that old bit about a fool and his money...

Good find Max;

It is certainly one of those Chinese saws that we will no doubt be seeing more of.

If it's a knock off of anything, it's a Red Max. Note the Fuel and oil caps both being to the rear of the starter.

Red Max is Jap right?

Parts: When you buy a Chinese tool from Harbor Freight, you usually get a parts diagram with it. But whether or not you can actually order spare parts I don't know because I have never tried.

If the Bumble Bee is a copy of a Red Max (or Husky), maybe those parts would fit; depending on how good a copy it is.

Repairs: Since I do all my own repair work that wouldn't scare me away, but it might for a lot of ppl.

Got another catalog from Harbor Freight yesterday and noticed a "new" item: The "Bumble Bee" branded 18" 45cc chainsaw for $199.99.

Never heard of a "Bumble Bee" chainsaw before and I wouldn't want to get stung by one, but has the long anticipated Chinese-made chainsaw arrived at a major American discount sales outlet?

I can't tell if it's a copy of anything or not, but from the photo it seems to have vertically split metal crankcases and not plastic ones. You can see screws holding the crankcase halves together. Looks alright.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=95497

Max , is this a round about way of saying that you did not buy that B45 . How's the 024 doing ?

Max , is this a round about way of saying that you did not buy that B45 . How's the 024 doing ?

Wow!

Talk about a good memory!

The B45, that was the Bailey's closeout Solo job wasn't it?

No, I didn't get one. Probably should of, but didn't. That was good deal!

The 024 is running fine, but as it's my carpentry saw I don't use it all that much. In spite of the fact that it has a new eBay Stihl cylinder and piston set in it, it smokes a little bit on startup. (Being an 1980s model, it's old enough to smoke I guess). Maybe I haven't run it enough to seat the piston rings properly.

I was having a bit of trouble with my 90cc Solo 690 while out milling a red pine log and was going to post about that, but then spotted this "Bumble Bee" job in H.F. and CHINESE copy ran thru my head like a Red Flag Alert and thought I'd better let you guys know about it.

The Chinese aren't stupid. If they copied, say, a Red Max, it would be common sense genius to make a perfect copy and solve the spare parts issue at a stroke!

I wonder if they maybe did that?

Wow!

Talk about a good memory!

The B45, that was the Bailey's closeout Solo job wasn't it?

No, I didn't get one. Probably should of, but didn't. That was good deal!

The 024 is running fine, but as it's my carpentry saw I don't use it all that much. In spite of the fact that it has a new eBay Stihl cylinder and piston set in it, it smokes a little bit on startup. (Being an 1980s model, it's old enough to smoke I guess). Maybe I haven't run it enough to seat the piston rings properly.

I was having a bit of trouble with my 90cc Solo 690 while out milling a red pine log and was going to post about that, but then spotted this "Bumble Bee" job in H.F. and CHINESE copy ran thru my head like a Red Flag Alert and thought I'd better let you guys know about it.

The Chinese aren't stupid. If they copied, say, a Red Max, it would be common sense genius to make a perfect copy and solve the spare parts issue at a stroke!

I wonder if they maybe did that?

You've a good memory also . Just last week a guy was telling that he found a 636 Magnum (45cc) for $199.95 . So I guess the deals are still out there . Glad to hear the 024 is well . Did you see the milling forum ?

Yeah, it DOES look like a Red Max!

Is it merely a cosmetic resemblance, or an exact fit part-for-part copy?

If the internals were the same as a Red Max it would be worth the $. Maybe we should all chip in a buck and get one to check it out. I got first dibs!:ices_rofl:

The Stihl copy I saw wasn't even die cast - SAND CAST...

the V-12 engines that ferrari builds are sand cast as well. I think just a piston set for that engine costs more than Stihl's biggest saw, so ....?
-Ralph

the V-12 engines that ferrari builds are sand cast as well. I think just a piston set for that engine costs more than Stihl's biggest saw, so ....?
-Ralph

In the case of the stihl knock off.. weight... and lots of it.

Stihl is mag alloy; chinese was some recycled Matag or whatever... Check out Baileys Stihl aftermarkt chain side cover - same deal - sand cast, not mag, heavy..

ok, I gotcha Lake. more to do with the materials than the actual molding process then?

Back