Stupid Chainsaw Tricks - Repairs Edition

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

surfincr

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
So i made a deal with a friend of a friend that i would repair 2 chainsaws, a blower, and an old homelite water pump for a clausing drill press and whoever owed more would pay the difference. One saw was an eager beaver 2014 where all of the fuel lines had rotted out. the last saw that did this i said screw it and drilled it out which i wasnt a fan of do to leaking. this round i decided there had to be a better way, which i found was correct. Before you insert the line cut the end at a long slant. after doing so if you do it right you can grab the small end and pull providing a perfect seal. just remembed to trim the end before installing the fuel filter.

Doing this made me think what other stupied easy tricks am i missing, so i started this thread for folks to share their stupid simple tricks.

So i made a deal with a friend of a friend that i would repair 2 chainsaws, a blower, and an old homelite water pump for a clausing drill press and whoever owed more would pay the difference. One saw was an eager beaver 2014 where all of the fuel lines had rotted out. the last saw that did this i said screw it and drilled it out which i wasnt a fan of do to leaking. this round i decided there had to be a better way, which i found was correct. Before you insert the line cut the end at a long slant. after doing so if you do it right you can grab the small end and pull providing a perfect seal. just remembed to trim the end before installing the fuel filter.

Doing this made me think what other stupied easy tricks am i missing, so i started this thread for folks to share their stupid simple tricks.

When repairing/rebuilding a diaphragm carburetor, I always apply a small dab of petroleum jelly to the seat end of the small spring for the float lever. Lever assembly can be installed much easier.

For the Tiny PITA fuel lines your speaking of I have got away with actually running a small piece of thin wire down into the tank and out. I poke the wire into the Tygon about an eight inch from the end and yank it threw that way. Trim off the part with the pin hole and it works like a charm.

When using a spray can of carb. cleaner, wd40 etc. and you need a longer straw, you can join two or more straws with a ball point pen ink tube.
Simply remove the ink tube and cut a 1/4"--3/8" piece from the clear end.
Very useful when spraying in tight places.

More shop related then chainsaw repair but if you need to cut very thin metal, with a hacksaw, you can make this simpler by installing two blades sandwiched together in the saw. Just install with teeth in opposite directions. I rarely have this situation but when it does come up, it is sometimes the best solution. This is slow because you are basically filing to cut.

Latest posts

Back