stupid stumpgrinder

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Totally Stumped

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Why is the engine on my Rayco 1631 (and many other grinders) mounted on the cutter boom where it raises the center of gravity of the machine making it prone to rollovers, partially obscures the work area and leaves it exposed to all the vibration, dust and debris from the grinding process. Please explain...

My question was poorly worded. Try this: Why wouldn't a hydraulic system like the bigger grinders make more sense? Right now, you have belts for the cutter wheel and a hydraulic pump for everything else when a single, larger pump could do it all. Seems to be needlessly complicated and poorly designed.
This Rayco is an expensive one-trick pony. I guess I should have bought a Toro Dingo or similar.

Machines with hydrostatic driven cutter wheels are more expensive than machines with belt driven wheels because the components used to make the machine are very expensive and more complicated. Hydrostatic power transmission has the most power loss when compared to belts or gears so the engine must be larger to compensate for the power loss during transmission. All of this makes a more expensive machine. To most people, the price of a machine is a major consideration in the purchase of a new machine and most manufacturers try to keep the price down so they will sell more machines.

The Dingo retails for about the same price as my RG1631 so a hydraulic machine can be built for a reasonable price. My beef is that these grinders rely on old technology, they tip over, they obscure the work area, they have multiple drive systems, they will not fit in the back of a pick up truck (8' bed) with the tailgate closed, they have no provision for attachments, etc.
I think the dual wheel kit is a joke since it prevents the operator from safely going through a 36" opening when a properly engineered grinder would keep the 35" width and lower the center of gravity by relocating the engine. Another joke is the small piece of square tubing used to hold the cutter boom in place while transporting the grinder. Has anyone else busted off the weldment on the frame that holds the pin?
Here's what I want to see: A Rayco 1625/1631 sized machine with the engine relocated above the front axle, a hydraulic drive system, a shortened frame and an attachment plate to run Bobcat or Toro attachments like a blade or rake.
I have used a Dingo and other mini loaders for landscaping but have never tried the stumpgrinder attachments.

The problem with using hydro drives is that you need a massive engine to get the horsepower to the cutter wheel. Hydro systems have a lot of flexibility but you have to be patient with them because it is very easy to bog them down. I think with your ideal machine you would run into the problem with needing twice the engine size. The weight of your machine would go up considerably as you will need a large capacity for hydro fluid biger pump etc.

Personally I like the gear driven grinders you get maximum horse power to the cutter head and you don't have the belts etc so close to the wheel. Unfortunately there are no smaller type of machines that have that system at this time that I know of.

I totally agree with Curbside on this issue. I have grinders with both hyrdrostatic and belt driven. My bottom line is that I am leaning towards belt driven machines. The hyrdro machines you loose big HP and when the pumps go out you better have a thick wallet. I would rather take the time on checking and adjusting the belts once a week and get full HP from the machine. My belt machines never bog but I cann't say that about the hydro machines. I had a 1625 Super Jr when they first came out with them and I will say that they are tippy. I tipped mine over at least 4 times. They easily tip. I have a Rayco RG 50 and that machine never got close to tipping and its a good machine with hydro (loss of HP).

Latest posts

Back