Stupid, worthless theives

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tr33thri11s

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Well woke up this morning and went out to my pickup to grab my work cell. Hhmmm, ashes on the drivers seat. I don't smoke. Cell phone gone. Then noticed various things astray throughout the cab. Quickly looked under the tonneau cover and all six saws I just picked up from the shop for repairs were still there. Quick trip to the garage and all twenty of my personal saws are still looked up in place. Nothing seems gone other than a pair of walkie talkies and my work phone. There was a cigarette butt lying beside the driver's door on the driveway.
Sherriff arrives and does report, takes pics, bags butt and tries to retrieve finger prints. Says they may able to get DNA from the butt. My fear it was just kids and they won't be on file. Pretty ballsy to hit me while I'm home. Unfortunately I have a pretty bad head cold and had taken some medicine and was sleeping quite well. Sherriff says a couple other homes were hit as well. Amazing they took the time to slim jim my truck, took a cell phone and walkie talkies, but left the GPS, my satellite radio, laptop and the saws. Even my Oakley sunglasses were left lying on the passenger seat. I keep a check book in the glove box, and my wallet was in the center console. None of it taken. Just how lazy or stupid were these people? For my luck, they were Very much of both. I will for sure change my habits of keeping these in my vehicles.
I grit my teeth everyday when leaving for work hoping not to have to call both the police and my insurance company to report a theft. Hate that they got anything, but both items can be replaced. I always tell the guys at work to be sure they chain their saws and lock them. That by locking them we stop the honest theives. An honest thief won't want to damage your lock. LOL Main reason is to slow them down and hope they either give up or someone stumbles upon them and scares them away. A smart guy would just bust the $100-150 handle of a $600 dollar saw and make the repair and be ahead. But a thief wants the quick sale, and a damaged item is harder to unload.

Amazing they took the time to slim jim my truck, took a cell phone and walkie talkies, but left the GPS, my satellite radio, laptop and the saws. Even my Oakley sunglasses were left lying on the passenger seat. I keep a check book in the glove box, and my wallet was in the center console. None of it taken. Just how lazy or stupid were these people?

I grit my teeth everyday when leaving for work hoping not to have to call both the police and my insurance company to report a theft.

So you are in fear of being robbed and yet you leave valuables in your vehicle? Seems you should have heeded your fears and done a better job of safeguarding your possessions. Consider yourself lucky this time, you may not fare as well in the future.

Just think how bad it'll be in 10, 20, even 40 years if things don't change in this world..

Theivery is going to get worse and worse. Eventually it's going to come down to people having to defend their own things as the cops are less and less help these days. It's just kills me to see all these thievery threads on here these days. It's getting bad around here too. People stealing cattle out of the fields man. Somethings got to give.

A man has to keep a lock and key on everything anymore. You can't leave anything in sight of others eyes. HEll, a few weeks ago, someone stole a non working dryer out of my yard. At least they saved me the trip to the junkyard.

Last edited:
So you are in fear of being robbed and yet you leave valuables in your vehicle? Seems you should have heeded your fears and done a better job of safeguarding your possessions. Consider yourself lucky this time, you may not fare as well in the future.

I guess I felt as if while I was at home, there was less of a chance of it. I now see I was wrong. I stated that those practices would be changed. LOL Normally I am quite sure I would've heard my dog barking. He's in the back yard and the driveway is at the front corner of the house. Right next to my bedroom. I guess I kinda mis-spoke my fears of reporting a theft. I have everything locked up, just hate the hassle involved if one does occur. I guess I was too trusting that my locked vehicle would provide any means of security.

Sherriff arrives and does report, takes pics, bags butt and tries to retrieve finger prints. Says they may able to get DNA from the butt. My fear it was just kids and they won't be on file. Pretty ballsy to hit me while I'm home. Unfortunately I have a pretty bad head cold and had taken some medicine and was sleeping quite well. Sherriff says a couple other homes were hit as well.

I work for a Sheriff's Department and can tell you if a uniformed Deputy took the report, photos, prints, and bagged the evidence for DNA you've got a great department there. Most uniformed officers / deputies won't do that. I'd give you better odds than most for finding the bad guy(s). Good luck, and your right about the locks only keeping out the honest people.

I guess I felt as if while I was at home, there was less of a chance of it. I now see I was wrong. I stated that those practices would be changed. LOL Normally I am quite sure I would've heard my dog barking. He's in the back yard and the driveway is at the front corner of the house. Right next to my bedroom. I guess I kinda mis-spoke my fears of reporting a theft. I have everything locked up, just hate the hassle involved if one does occur. I guess I was too trusting that my locked vehicle would provide any means of security.
Good, first thing I was going to ask is if you had a dog, first thing I would start keeping an eye out for is neighboorhood kids. Somebody felt too comfortable, tells me they know you maybe. Must have grabbed what they saw like said for a quick buck. Maybe go after more next time. Time to get yourself a trail camera from walmart or cabelas. Then leave some bait, and get them on film. Get the cops to bust em, or if someone you know show em pic, tell em you got cameras everywhere. World travels quick in the rumor mill problem solved.

Sounds like a kid or kids on a bicycle. They couldn't carry anything else, so they only grabbed what was fast and could be stuffed in their pockets.

I am sort of thinking about you said they slim jimmed the lock though..you sure they did that, or did you space and leave it unlocked?

But your *wallet*? You leave your wallet in the truck?

I've said it before. Just remember, revenge is sometimes sweet, but heads on stakes in the front yard are a dead giveaway of foul play. Cowards, at least in a mugging the guy has to face you.

A friend posted this on fb:

578410_10151482196210478_494489880477_23139193_1967956400_n.jpg

These guys love thieves

attachment.php

Keeps their teeth clean n breath fresh too.

Infra red game cameras are very useful in your situation. Check out wing supply.com, they have good prices. You can set the cameras on single picture or 30 second videos.

Can you track the cell phone via an app or online? Did you try calling it? Check your local pawn shops.

i hate a thief too.... a few years ago a friend of mine went out of town for a few days and someone stole the brand new carb off his race car,,,but they left him a factory carb laying underneath the hood.....thief didnt want to strand him:msp_biggrin:

Back