Stupidity = One nice Homelite 540 destroyed

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guido Salvage

Supreme Saw Whoreder
Reaction score
Some of you may have seen pictures of my Homelite 540 that I bought new almost 20 years ago. Believe it or not, I scored it at Northern Hydraulics (now known as Northern Tools). Never ran the 20" B&C that came on it but swapped on a 30" Total bar. I suspect that it has not had 3 tanks of fuel run through it in its lifetime. Here is a picture of it last spring.

PioneerP-20Poulan361001.jpg

I had also posted about the mobile saw storage unit I had bought at a salvage auction. You can see the 540 on the top shelf.

Edsalshelves005.jpg

I had to utilize my floor jack today in order to put new brake pads on my wife's car. Unfortunately, the jack was behind my storage cart. As I was moving the cart back into the garage the 540 fell off the top shelf. This is the result:

BrokenHomelite540007.jpg

BrokenHomelite540008.jpg

BrokenHomelite540012.jpg

As you can see, it landed handle first. In order to bring it back to its former self I will need a new case as well as an air filter cover. Makes me wish I had bought the Homie MP88 chop saw on e-Bay last month for the case. I doubt there are any out there as nice as mine was, can anyone help on the needed parts?

How did it damage the crank case? That is a shame, but it can be fixed. I bet that was the most expensive brake job you have done.

How did it damage the crank case? That is a shame, but it can be fixed. I bet that was the most expensive brake job you have done.

It landed on the handle as it fell and destroyed the case, the rest should be fine. I got no sympathy from my wife, her comment was that I wasn't using it so I wouldn't miss it. :mad:

Wife would sure get the nasty look.Sorry to hear,hope parts can be found.

It landed on the handle as it fell and destroyed the case, the rest should be fine. I got no sympathy from my wife, her comment was that I wasn't using it so I wouldn't miss it. :mad:

Hell, my wife has something I don't get to use much,don't mean I still don't miss itl.LOL realy sorry about your saw,good looking old Homie. Scott

If it broke from that little fall, saw wasn't worth a damn anyway. :hmm3grin2orange:

I once lost a Sachs Dolmar 120 out of the back of a truck at 50 mph. It stabbed into the ground with the bar, and sat there quivering back and forth.

I pulled it out, tossed it back into the truck, and went on my way--no discernible damage.

Should have just put one side of new brake pads on her car and explained she did not use them all of the time and she would'nt miss them....:hmm3grin2orange:

JK I feel your pain..

Kinda reminds me of the Christmas Story movie when the old mans leg lamp got broke....

Last edited:
First let me say how sorry I am for you.
Contact BillG, he has/had a NOS 540 tank.
Weimedog has some MP88 parts, including a handle, But on the MP88, the oil tank is cut through to the fuel tank to increase fuel capacity. It would need to come apart and have a plate welded into the oil tank.
Good luck
Jim

For reference, the one on the left is schedule 40--you know, the stuff that comes in 10 foot sticks for about a buck. That handle is cheap!

441797_f496.jpg

Back